Mythology at the Pre-school / Primary level

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JeanZnidarsic
Associate

Post by JeanZnidarsic »

I am interested in how mythology can fit into the educational curriculum of pre-schoolers and primary students. How can I find out how people have done this, how to approach administration, and what sort of programs work. I am not a teacher but a storyteller and a parent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. JZ

<font size=-1>[ Thread name changed for clarification ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mythinker on 2003-03-28 22:45 ]</font>

daniea
Associate

Post by daniea »

In having worked with teaching children through preschool and elementary programs, I find that they relate to stories in a way that adults are unable. They often find a connection in stories that seem unrealistic and impossible to adults. We can look at children's animated movies as an example. More often I find that the children learn and retain throughout life what they connect with in these movies. It is not because the lesson is any more profound, but because the children are entertained. They do not feel that they are being forced to learn. It is this psychological aspect that can either unconsciously motivate a child to learn or block a notion simply because it is a conscious lesson expected to be learned. It is because of this I find that the imaginative stories that come from mythology actually promote a connection of learning with children. Like with anything in life we learn from the experiences we enjoy. My suggestion would be to examine a mythological story in an imaginative manner. Utilizing such techniques as role playing and abstract thought help the child to understand the importance of the story. They are able to experience it. Mythology shows a deep connection between right and wrong, loyalty and betrayal. Children tend to realize these forces exist and recognize the value each promote. I find that if I can get my children to examine "the why" of the right and wrong, they retain that knowledge. I have found that if we can make a connection in an imaginitive way we are able to bring that connection back into reality in some other way. Even some of the youngest children I have worked with including 3 year olds can make a connection and then apply it to such situations as disagreements with fellow classmates.

I apologize for rambling on, I am not even sure any of this will help, but I hope it does!! --Ambi

Jasmine
Working Associate

Post by Jasmine »

I did write a long response to your note, but I don't see it posted... so to briefly restate my reaction, and as a classroom teacher, I think the best place to start is storytelling, and you are in the best possible position to influence the children.

Please visit Gerald McDermott's website at:

http://www.geraldmcdermott.com/

to take a look at some wonderful stories your children will be delighted to hear. Mr. McDermott is an active member of the Campbell Foundation and takes great care in creating his wonderful books... librarians love to stock his books and I'm sure your school library already has them. If not, I'm sure you can get the school to buy them for you.
Jasmine Kazarian

John M Gagnon
Associate

Post by John M Gagnon »

Well if you want to reach children, whether you agree or not, try Disney. Don't forget that Christopher Vogel, not sure if he still works for them, but was creative consultant using many of Joseph Campbell's theories. And children really relate to Disney movies. I think mostly due to it's believe it or not realism. Disney cartoons still show such frowned upon acts like death, smoking and drinking. Yes drinking and smoking in this day and age. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever protested Disney for this.

But I agree that children do understand and relate to mythology on such levels that take Adults years of study to understand. I know because I remember being a kid and my parents brought me to the Drive-in to watch Superman 3. I don't know if you guys have seen it or remember it but there is a scene where Superman is having a crisis of right and wrong. Well as a child I could have cared less about the plot of the movie but I remember vividly being moved by the scene where Superman splits into two different versions of himself and must confront himself to become the better person. Wow!! That's mythical duality if I ever saw it. And as a kid I sensed the urgency and emotion of the scene more so then my parents did.

But I do like this topic because I'm gonna finish my English degree soon and will move on to education also. I've been brainstorming for a while what would be the best way to reach elementary students in the art of storytelling.

John M Gagnon
Associate

Post by John M Gagnon »

Oh yeah one more thing. I have a neice that I helped raise since my senior year of High School and most of College. I made sure that she wasn't overexposed to the fluff of saturday morning cartoons and what passes as myth these days. So every now and then I would bring over movies like "The Neverending Story", "The Dark Crystal" and "The original Star Wars trilogy". Explained what the events meant and who the characters symbolize. I also make sure to bring her to the movies everytime a new Disney animated feature comes out. She is eight years old now and you wouldn't believe how well she understands character development, the archetypes of characters, and the reasons for events during the story. It kinda makes me proud when I'm in the video store with her and she passes up "Pokemon" for another night of "The Dark Crystal".

Ararat
Associate

Post by Ararat »

Jean - allow me to suggest that you purchase a copy of Michael Mead's book: "Men and the Water of Life." In that book, Mead outlines some techniques that he has used in his workshops to enable participants to enter into the story that he is working with. This particular book is an excellent contribution to finding one's way into the "mythological imagination."

Gregory Casey (engima)
Associate

Post by Gregory Casey (engima) »

Keeping in mind that myths are a people's attempt to put into words the deeper heartfelt lessons that transcend the very words used. To add myths to education must have a very flexible base. The students must define their myths. To tell children about Nordic myths maybe entertaining but will not have the same heartfelt meaning as it did nordic children of long ago. I would suggest that you share your personal myths with the children. Allow them to see how your myths effect your present. Allow them to understand the power of your own personal "hero's journey".

I did this as a mathematics instructor. My students understood why I did the things I did both in and out of a classroom. They understood my belief of teacher being deeper than normally perceived. As a result, I find that their respect for me and math grows.

Gregory Casey
Los Angeles, California
People are not looking for the meaning of life, they are dying to add meaning to their lives...Mystics can help in that transistion.

Susie
Associate

Post by Susie »

I think mythology is all around us in our music, books, movies and art-we don't call it mythology- but whatever beings study our culture ages from now will call it that.

These myths that seem so powerfullly written to us now-may have just been a story some artistic-mytical type came up with eons ago.

Just like the artists today channel creative forces into their work-the patterns of God emerge whether you try to show them or not.

...with the heart and mind united in a single, perfect sphere

gracie
Associate

Post by gracie »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gracie on 2002-12-27 08:30 ]</font>

Painted Owl
Associate

Post by Painted Owl »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Painted Owel on 2003-08-06 06:58 ]</font>