Some Help Figuring Out a Specific Myth

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Post by Guest »

I am writing a piece of music for bassoon and electronic media and I had an idea for the title in relation to a myth Joseph Campbell discussed in one of his recorded lectures, but I cannot remember both the myth and the lecture series. All I remember is that the myth discusses the discovery of the self and within the myth, the self becomes afraid and divides into man and woman and then into two cows, two other animals and so forth. If you have some idea as to which myth this is, I would appreciate any help. Thank you ahead of time!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: george-hufnagl on 2006-07-19 16:14 ]</font>

ShantiSong
Associate

Post by ShantiSong »

Welcome George,
HINDU

In the beginning was Self (Atman) alone, in the shape of a person. He, looking round, saw nothing but his Self. He 1st said, "This is I"; therefore he became "I" by name. Therefore even now, if a man is asked, he 1st says, "This is I," and then pronounces the other name which he may have. And because before all this he (the Self) burnt down all evils, therefore he was a person (purusha). Verily he who knows this burns down everyone who tries to be before him. He feared, and therefore anyone who is lonely fears. He thought, "As there is nothing but myself, why should I fear?" Then his fear passed away. For what should he have feared? Verily fear arises from a second only. But he felt no delight. Therefore a man who is lonely feels no delight. He wished for a second. He was as large as man and wife together. He then made this, his Self, to fall in 2, (pat) [the word "pat" means 2] and thence arose husband (pat) and wife (patni). Therefore Yagnavalkya said, "We 2 are thus (each of us) like half a shell." Therefore the void which was there is filled by the wife. He embraced her and men were born. She thought, "How can he embrace me after having produced me from himself? I shall hide myself." She then became a cow, the other became a bull and embraced her, and hence cows were born. The one became a mare, and the other a stallion, the one a male ass, and the other a female ass. He embraced her, and hence one-hoofed animals were born. The one became a she-goat the other a he-goat; the one became a ewe, the other a ram. He embraced her, and hence goats and sheep were born. And thus he created everything that exists in pairs, down to the ants.

(Permission: Brithadaranyaka Upanishad. Translated by F. Max Muller.)

http://www.trivia-library.com/a/hindu-c ... d-myth.htm
Good luck on your project.

Post by Guest »

Wonderful! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for your help.