joseph campbell inspired my thesis composition!

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

microcosm
Associate

Post by microcosm »

Here is the composition that i wrote for my MA in Music Technology. In academic circles it falls within the broad 'Computer Music' genre. Its heavily influenced by the Spectral genre. In mainstream terms its probably considered closer to Ambient music.

The title of the composition is entitled 'A Composer's Journey'.

The title of my thesis is 'Mythology as Musical Structure'

The abstract of my thesis is:

This thesis investigates the parallels between music and story and considers the similarities between composer and author. The compositional element of this work includes a Computer Music piece entitled The Composer's Journey, which has used Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Journey model (as explained in his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces) as its structural basis. The central issue for this paper is: Is it possible to create Computer Music instrumentation that is representative of a literary journey that is The Hero's Journey.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but the zip file also contains my thesis so you can follow along with the music-- specifically chapter 4, the Graphical Score, and Spectral processing structure.

Thanks for checking it out!!

http://www.bigwussy.net/music_samples/T ... ourney.zip

Peace and Love,

Jared

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: microcosm on 2006-10-31 17:33 ]</font>

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Thanks for sharing, Jared.

Besides inviting feedback, this might be a good thread for others to share links to personal works inspired by Campbell.

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

hi jared,

thanks for offering access to your work.
you stated--
"The central issue for this paper is: Is it possible to create Computer Music instrumentation that is representative of a literary journey that is The Hero's Journey."

I skimmed through your thesis and found it intriguing...Comparing Wagner's Ring, Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, Sprectral Music....all pretty interesting and wild.

If you get the chance, could you elaborate on the central theme of your thesis as you state above.

You obviously have spent quite a long time on the project, and I would be interested to hear more about what you are doing.

The connections of art, myth, literature and music are very mysterious for me.

john