Pay It Forward

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Showed this movie to my classes this week. What are your thoughts on it?
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Molly J
Associate

Post by Molly J »

This was a great movie, I enjoyed it very much. The death of the young hero was expected, the sacrificial lamb image. But the message was one that I wish everyone would take to heart.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Thanks for your comment Molly!
The death of the young hero was expected
I must say my 8th graders would disagree! Their reactions were interesting to watch, as the movie was well crafted: the viewer developed a 'relationship' with Trevor (our little lamb), the sound track, lighting and superb acting by Hunt and Spacey led to quite a significant impact. Some started crying, everyone felt the impulse in that direction.

Perfect.

I asked if the ending was good, and there was a lot of disagreement. I then clarified: I didn't ask if the ending was happy, but good... most grudgingly admitted it was.

I asked those who were my 7th grade students last year what kind of story this was... and at least one in each class said this was, indeed, a hero story.

One student connected Trevor to Martin Luther King Jr. Perfect situation to discuss the ultimate sacrifice.

Not far from there to the Jesus connection.

There are those who say we can't get away with that one in a public school. I say balderdash!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

FourSwords
Associate

Post by FourSwords »

I've never seen the movie, but I approve of the basic concept and think America in particular needs a hell of a lot more of it.

It reminds me of something Robert Bly has written about at length: how this Earth "belongs to the dead", by which he means our generation has a responsibility to all other generations through time (both past and future.) Americans tend to be lethally, dangerously myopic about that, about the idea of being in community through TIME as well as space. In other words, just as we need to cultivate more community with distant nations, the same thing applies to being in community with people of the past and the future.

In other words, we really do owe debts to the dead, and the way to pay them back is to give to the future. Which is something Americans in particular are sure as hell NOT doing every time they build another unsustainable suburban "development."

Frey
Associate

Post by Frey »

I asked if the ending was good, and there was a lot of disagreement. I then clarified: I didn't ask if the ending was happy, but good... most grudgingly admitted it was.
That was an excellent clarification. I had a similar question and answer exchange with my mother over the latest Rocky film. I can't believe I've disclosed this--it's Rocky!

Either way...

The movie (apologies to all who haven't seen this film) obviously climaxes with a toe to toe bout and suprisingly, to the chagrin of my mother, ends in a split decision. "Rocky Balboa didn't win." It wasn't a "happy" ending to her.

I tried to explain that he DID win--the Italian Stallion, in his old age had a generic call to adventure and he listened to it. It didn't matter if he "won" the bout, for he won when he took that call seriously, started punching the beef again and stepped into that ring with confidence and the best grace old Balboa could conjure up. I have to give credit to Stallone for some decent mythological screen writing, depsite his cheeky characters and simple plot.

When the fight is over, Rocky simply gives a wave to the crowd and walks out of the vegas arena. He doesn't wait and relish the applause. His "quest" is complete!

I think a contemporary story tellers audience is lost in this regard. I'm hesitant to point a stiff finger at Hollywood exclusively, although there is a neccessity in today's age of entertainment for the hero to be literally triumphant. An ending is not "good" unless it is happy.

"By my own estimation I'm a drifter, destination unknown."
--Reid

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frey on 2007-01-26 06:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frey on 2007-01-26 06:40 ]</font>