"Life is a Continuous Story of Shattered Dreams"

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

jufa
Associate

"Life is a Continuous Story of Shattered Dreams"

Post by jufa »

"Whenever we sat out to build a creative temple, whatever it may be, we must face the fact that there is a tension at the heart of the universe between good and evil.. It's there, a tension at the heart of the universe.

Hinduism refers to this as a struggle between illusion and reality. Plantonic philosophy use to refer to it as a tension between body and soul. Zoroastrianism, a religion of old, refers to it as a tension between the god of light, and the god of darkness. Traditional Judaism and Christianity refers to it as a tension between God and satan. Whatever we call it, there is a struggle in the universe between good and evil.

Now not only is that struggle structured out somewhere in the external forces of the universe, it is structured in our own lives. Psychologist have tried to graffle with it in their way and so, they say various things. Sigmund Freud use to say this tension is the tension between what he called the 'Id' and the Super Ego. But you know, some of us feel it is a tension between God and man.

In every one of us today there is a war going on. It is a civil war. I don't care who you are ; I don't care where you live, there is a civil war going on in your life. Every time you sat out to do good, there is something PULLING on you telling you to be evil—it's going on in your life. Every time you sat out to love, something keeps PULLING on you trying to get you to hate. Every time you sat out to be kind and say nice things about people, something is PULLING on you to be jealous and envious, and to spread evil gossip about someone. There is a civil war going on. Every time you say I am not going to let this evil habit destroy me, something keeps PULLING on you saying keep on doing it. There is a schizophrenia, as the psychologist, or psychiatrist will call it, going on within all of us.

There are times when all of us know somehow that there is a DR. JEKYLL, and MR. HYDE in us, and we end up having to cry out as a Latin poet: 'I see and approve the better thing of life, but the evil things I do.' We end up having to agree with Plato, that the human personality is like a charioteer with two head-strong horses each wanting to go in different directions. And some times we have to end up crying out with St. Augustine as he said in his confession: 'Lord make me pure, but not yet.' Or we end up crying out with the Apostle Paul: 'The good that I would I do not, and the evil that I would not, that I do.' Or we end up saying there is enough stuff in me to make me a lady, gentlemen, and a rogue. Tension at the heart of human nature. And whenever we sat out to dream our dreams, and build our temples, we must be honest enough to recognize it.” - Martin Luther King, Jr

Waka
Associate

Post by Waka »

That is sooo true. I always find myself in some sort of mindset that I am usually not in. I step back and look at myself. What happened I ask myself. :?

Then I get to wondering where is the true nature. I try to go back to where I was. Sometimes it gets real bad and I take a break from everything. So I ask where is the middle?

An awoken mind is strong but it tends to see both sides and wonders.

Can we find peace?
Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.- Buddha<br>Let yourself be free. :-)

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

More of dad's philosophy: "every second of every day you have a choice. Like a computer - 1 or 0, on or off. You're either doing right or you're not."

It's a constant choice, not just a once in a while momentous decision. It's all the time. Every second of every day, you're either "on the bus or off the bus" (merry pranksters-electric koolaid acid test).

Susan