Clemsy Gets his Dream Class

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I think I'll add this to my senior class curriculum. The Odyssey meets Catcher in the Rye:

Teaching “The Odyssey” at San Quentin
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Impressive, Clemsy.

As students work through the inevitable challenges of life, the guided study of this classic work will provide them with both insight and the unmitigated fun of a really good story.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Hey guys,

Just for the sake of clarification. From the link Clemsy posted.
The opening of “The Odyssey” describes Odysseus as polytropos, a man “much turned” and “much turning.” He makes much happen, and much happens to him.
I am sorry but this not what Homer had in mind when he said polytropos. Of course polytropos means "much turned" but it also means "he who has many ways" which is what Odysseus was. Homer also called him polymihanos (πολυμήχανος), resourceful, inventive etc..

Lesson over! :P

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Clemsy wrote:I think I'll add this to my senior class curriculum. The Odyssey meets Catcher in the Rye:

Teaching “The Odyssey” at San Quentin
Clemsy this was really a nice piece. Not only about myth and the power of a great story as a learning tool such as opening the doorway to a wider world; but also about interconnection and seeing the relevance of personal authorship in one's life no matter what the circumstances. I especially liked how the writer also was affected and given the experience of giving back. ( Two-way exchange; in a very cool form. ) 8)

(Andreas that was an interesting insight; nice to have some " inside " cultural clarification. ) :wink:
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Clemsy here is another installment of the " Shakespeare " version of Star Wars: :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-jedi-d ... 25127.html
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Interesting comment in one of my senior classes. We always start the year discussing lost innocence and one said that gaining experience and maturing means accepting the negative parts of being alive.

This looks like a very cool group of youths, not that they aren't always. lol!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

8)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

When we are born, our existence requires that we be whatever we are. We don't know any better. When survival is at stake, we are programmed to scream with pain and kick like crazy.

Later, screaming and kicking can get a body in serious trouble that is worse than whatever made us scream and kick in the first place. With survival at stake, experience teaches us to shut up and be still.

Then, our survival is beyond our capacity to scream, kick, shut up or be still, and we find some way to keep going before we finally have to just check out.

~

I'm still kicking.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene