Clemsy Gets his Dream Class

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

creekmary wrote:
Not to do with anything, but my son will soon have his masters in education and should be a teacher by the end of the summer :) he has had to put himself through with "fine aid" and military reserve service, but so far he's a pretty darn good, solid young man. M'boy..."chebon-agee" :)
Susan

Congratulations Susan; that's wonderful; you must be so proud! Cindy's daughter just graduated as well. Few moments are so special. 8)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Congratulations, Susan. I hope the climate in education improves for you son. Please tell him I strongly, urgently advise him not to apply for or accept a position in any high poverty district.

Today, it's the kiss of death as educators are expected to produce results that only those engaged in magical thinking could expect.

It's really bad out there right now.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

Lol! He'd have to leave the state to NOT be in a poverty area!

Susan

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

Teachers died in the tornado trying to protect their children.

I know you are a TED talk person, clemsy, I wish I could put up a link to "pearl arrendondo - from gangland daughter to star teacher". An inner city student influenced to persevere, come back and start her OWN school, an alternative to the flawed system. I'm sure influencing someone in the next generation to go further. Her teachers at the time probably had no idea what she would come to accomplish because of them.

I have met the "mean" (strict) typing/business teacher from high school twice since I've been home. She's pretty frail and elderly now. Both times (she probably thought I was two different students...) I introduced myself as a former student and thanked her for teaching me. That the things I learned in her class helped me make a living and support my family.

I'd have starved to death if I hadn't known how to type a letter.

My sister and I took my son to meet our mentor after he graduated high school. I guess it was sort of a presentation like the mama horse bringing her newborn up to us to see. I wanted him to see how fine he was, how many ivy leagues were after him, and what he thought his plans might be in the future.

He is really, really, really high up there now, and started to get an uneasy look on his face, so I told him straight out I didn't come to ask him for anything. Not get him in any school or program or anything. I wanted him to see how far his influence went. His decision to pick two little country Indian girls a long time ago.

Blind faith. We can't see that far. Every once in a while though...you get those odd little quirk/quarks of synchronicity / serendipity that just make you wonder if maybe there might not be a point to all this after all....of some sort....maybe.

Teaching is a noble profession! Persevere! :)

Susan

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Susan this is " such " a beautiful, powerful, and moving story. The message about your individual experience of " life wisdom " comes through in a personal , intimate, and " interconnected " way. You have a wonderful knack for expressing things in a clear, no non-sense, yet " understanding " tone. Just the kind of technique some teachers employ. If I may suggest; ( And you probably already know this ): You have been a teacher too; and a good one. Just like we all are. ( Look at your son. :wink: ) Isn't this what the task of an adult towards children is all about? Joseph Campbell in " Power of Myth " said it was the " toughest " role he knew. ( Just coming at this another way. ) A Job well done! :idea:

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

I had to learn to speak as plainly and honestly as I could to avoid being totally obscure from I guess trying to be diplomatic and polite. And, boy howdy! The Indian women around here anyway, will flat lay it on you! There is noooo holding back on expressing EXACTLY what they think about something or someone. You better learn to say something! :)

Susan

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Susan. Have you ever given any thought to sharing some of your stories on " The Story " thread? ( Just a suggestion. ) :)

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

People tell me that all the time. "You should write this stuff down!". Real life!

Like having to call two tow trucks and a bulldozer Wednesday to pull my camp house delivery guy out of a very, very, very wrong turn down the steep slippery hill we used to live on where weird stuff happened.

It's hard for me to talk without using illustrations :)

Susan

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Susan. Check my fresh post in " The Story ". You have knack for this ( " illustrating " thing ) I think. But again I'm just suggesting. :wink:

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I agree! Susan, visit that thread and tell some stories!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

And all my stories are true.....

Susan

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

creekmary wrote:And all my stories are true.....

Susan
There is nothing that can be called a "false" story, Susan. :)

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

I just came across this " wonderful " story about a young student who with the help of his committed mother and family overcame great odds. Very poignant. :)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/high-s ... 13134.html

dgregory62
Associate

First Post - Looking for a place to start

Post by dgregory62 »

Hi Clemsy. I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute to your thread right now. To be honest, I'm looking for some assistance in guiding some of my own thoughts on a topic, and this conversation looked like a good place to start.

I'm interested in a topic very similar, if not identical, to the one you are embarking on. I recall Campbell saying that one of the reasons we have so much violence in our communities is because our myths are out of date or out of synch with what we need today. Our young men don't have a personal mythology they can relate to. I'm particularly interested in the personal growth of young boys (grades 7, 8, 9) that will help them to grow into mature, caring young men.

I know there's a conversation topic on rites of passage and transitions. Maybe I could find some good info there as well.

The thing is, in my opinion, if we are to teach our young men to find their personal mythology, it can't be from a book. They have to live it, experience it. A program like the Boy Scouts has probably done a lot to help young boys mature, but I believe it's only accessed by a certain niche of the population.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone has adapted Campbell's teaching into a practical, applied program to help young people learn to identify, codify and live by their own mythology.

Thanks so much.

creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary »

I think young boys are getting lost because there are so many growing up without fathers or even uncles to pass on what it is to be a man. They only grow up with mothers. I tried as hard as I could to pass on whatever masculine qualities I had and my son spent a lot of time with his grandfather and some with uncles. I think boys suffer and quite a few around here become spoiled and no good with no grown men to "buck up" against like young males do, and to be living examples of what a man should be.

dad = "there's a difference between being born male and being a man"

Susan