What Is Mind?

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Funnily enough for evolution was without numbers for a good number of years.-rom
Well, there is the number of fingers and toes...which probably gave us our notion of base 10 and base 20. :D

But it looks like I'm talking to myself anyway...time to make a u-turn.
Last edited by Neoplato on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Neoplato wrote: Well, there is the number of fingers and toes...which probably gave us our notion of base 10 and base 20. :D
One interesting thing is that logically, counting from one, we should have symbols for the numbers 1 to 10... but we have them only for 1 to 9. My guess is that the representation of the numbers as symbols, with the concept of place value, came only after the discovery of zero.

Just a mathematical aside...

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

nandu wrote:The "dead end" I mentioned was with respect to me and Andreas on that particular topic-the discussion was going around in circles.

Nandu.
Yes, that is exactly the reason I said that there is nothing more to say. It seems to me that we have talked about this many times and it always leads to some kind of paradox at least in my mind. Anyways...

Romansh - I tell you what. I will look for The Moral Animal at the library and if I can find it I will read it. Cool? :D
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

And now that I look back at the context of your post, nandu, (which I should have done innitially. Bad, Clemsy. Bad.)it does appear you are addressing Andreas. So, it's gone from an insignificant issue to a completely non-issue.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Clemsy wrote:
Surely my honorable moderator, my learned opponent should cite some evidence to defend the reaching of a dead end?
He's entitled to his dead end opinion. You don't have to agree with him. If he thinks the thread has run its course as far as he's concerned, proving it has, as far as he's concerned, would be a contradiction. He's done. You want to convince him otherwise? That's up to you.
It's just that when I used an inclusive pronoun in citing a personal opinon I was very mildly reminded this may not be accurate by my learned moderator
You'll have to reference the situation. This one lacks significance.
I was thinking of this exchange:
Clemsy wrote:
But I do question, do we need any religion?
Rom, I think the 'we' is the wrong pronoun. You may not, I may not. If another does, it's not for us to say that's wrong.
from the Charter for compassion thread.

Am I not allowed to have my opinion that we might not need religion?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Honestly, I think that accusing people of using the wrong pronoun is not the point of this website. I know that I've been guilty, but it urks me that some people are prosecuted for saying "we" and others are sanctioned for attributing common thoughts to a single point of origin even though the concepts are thousands of years old.

That's just not fair. :shock:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I admit, Neoplato, that there are times when I, too, initially take exception to blanket generalizations that might include "we" or "you," for example, or that may seem to imply that the poster assumes everyone is similar to him/her in their personal psychologies, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Most of the time I get over it, and chock it up to a poster's writing style and way of expressing ideas. My personal exception to this is those posters whom I get to know over time who really do believe that they have the answer or question for everyone. With them I typically find myself thinking, Get over yourself, and eventually quit reading their posts.

Cindy
Last edited by Cindy B. on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

I was addressing Andreas directly. As far as we (myself and Andreas) are concerned, we had discussed this question of science before, reiterated our different viewpoints, and agreed to disagree. Any more discussion on the topic would have been endless repetition - the old "round and round".

Funny thing is, Andreas understood and did not take offence. But the whole thing has blown up into a diplomatic incident! Well, well...

Talk about a storm in a teacup!

Nandu.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

You just made me smile, Nandu. The English saying is "tempest in a tea pot." :)

And you're right--we do engage in a fair amount of tail-chasing on this site. :wink:

Cindy

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Cindy B. wrote:And you're right--we do engage in a fair amount of tail-chasing on this site. :wink:
I have absolutely no objection... provided I can stay away from it! :D

Nandu.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Cindy B. wrote: The English saying is "tempest in a tea pot." :)
Cindy,
Probably 'tempest in a teapot' is American English while 'storm in a teacup' is a British variant? :)

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Ercan2121 wrote:
Cindy B. wrote: The English saying is "tempest in a tea pot." :)
Cindy,
Probably 'tempest in a teapot' is American English while 'storm in a teacup' is a British variant? :)
Hmm, may be. Time for some research, it seems...

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_in_a_Teacup

Always learning, Ercan. Thanks. 8)

Cindy

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Always learning Cindy, -and with the delicate perception
of a Mediterranean :)

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

But of course! :P

Cindy

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

But I do question, do we need any religion?
Does not compare, contextually, in any way, with Nandu's comment to Andreas.

Besides, of course you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to respond to that opinion. Neither comments have anything to do with my capacity as moderator.

More as someone who will poke a generality in the belly-button. 8)

Now, I think this horse is pretty much dead. (The one named Pronoun, not Mind. But as I always tell my students, "Mind your pronouns!)"
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas