Mythic Journeys DVD

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Thanks Clemsy.

I really liked Sobonfu Some little speech.
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy »

Hi all,

I was expecting this to have the impact for me that POM did the first time I saw it, but it’s different than that. I have loaned it to several friends’ kids (20s age) and am interested to see what the feed back will be from a younger generation. I’ll let you know.

jj,
The tree is barren. It's face is sad. It's expression could even be seen as "desperate". It got me to thinking about what may be symbolized here.
My first thought was of Goddess (it’s definitely a feminine depiction IMO) and her role in wasteland. In many of the ways you mentioned, it is the Goddess aspect, from the perspective that creates the wasteland, I think.

JamesN,
I also liked the occasional little charactors that would pop up like the mink
Several possibilities as to the mink I think, note that it finds the King at the gate to the bone orchard and follows from the beginning. I’m going to pull bits and pieces from here;

http://funkman.org/animal/mammal/weaselfamily.html
Members of the Weasel Family prefer to live solitary lives,
Members of the Weasel Family are great chasers.
Because of their high metabolism, Members of the Weasel Family hunt endlessly. Since They are long and skinny, They also lose heat in their bodies. To keep warm, Members of the Weasel Family consume a lot of food.
Sounds like the energy of maintaining oneself in the wasteland.

However;
They quietly observe what is happening and then discern what is important. Since Weasels move unseen, scouting out their Enemies, Native Americans sought blessings from Weasel, when going into battle.

Shamans use Least Weasels as guides to underworld realms. Their primal energy and fierce courage make Them formidable allies.

Meanwhile, only royalty wore Ermine, since they thought of Her as morally pure.

In China, Weasel was one of the five animals able to hear everything said.

Various Members of the Weasel Family have a poor reputation among many people for being cowards. This is simply not true. In fact, They are bold and confident in taking on Animals larger than Themselves. Moreover, Members of the Weasel Family are tenaciously aggressive.

St. Jordan of Battberg had a pet Weasel that represented his attribute of vigilance and watchfulness.

Members of the Weasel Family do not do things in half measures. They live life with all of their heart.
So just a couple of thoughts there, but maybe it boils down to something like this;
WEASEL FAMILY;

Live Life Fully From the Heart

JamesN,
or the gargoyle looking in somewhat amusement at what was going on with the King and Corpse.
Notice the first we see of the gargoyles, or cherubim of fear and desire as at the gate of a Buddhist shrine, is also at the gate to the bone orchard. One mouth closed one mouth open, the pairs of opposites that keep one outside of the garden (see POM page 107). Which then are always lurking around in the shadows of ones journey. Interestingly though, would this mean that the garden is indeed also the wasteland, the wasteland is also the garden, as the stage of ones journey?

And then just at the moment the King is about to come to the realization that all of life is paradox, the cherubim, the weasel, and the tree, all stop to take note.

An underlying thought for me throughout the entire bone orchard story was that, ‘to know is not to know’.

Oh, and I did have to smile just a little at Beckwith’s idea and term anti-bored.

bg

Yusqueya
Associate

Post by Yusqueya »

Thanks for your posts about this film - I'm adding it to my Christmas list but was hoping to hear some good reviews before committing to it (although the trailer gives me goosebumps)...since I trust this forum's opinions on myth more than anyone else, I thought I'd check here. Glad I did! :)

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

You'll love it. I have my loaner out... and they don't want to give it back!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas