Mythic Journeys DVD

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

jonsjourney
Associate

Mythic Journeys DVD

Post by jonsjourney »

Hello...

I just finished watching the new DVD Mythic Journeys last evening and wanted to start a thread in which anyone who has watched the DVD can share their thoughts and feelings about its content.

~JJ
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dear jonsjourney, I too have been watching this wonderful DVD and was hoping someone would start this thread. Back in 2006 associate JR, myself, and others; asked the moderators to create : " Exploring Your Personal Mythology ". Now at long last this fabulous Toolbox has emerged. The downloable Study Guide will open up its muti-dimensional aspect especially with the suggested support group application. So many people come to this website and it has such a vast spread; that it can be overwhelming not only because of catagorical navigation but in trying to find and identify ones' personal and intimate needs. So much of Joseph Campbell's work has been so vital in helping people untie their own " Gordian Knot " or work out their unique personal problems that to finally have some techniques to help them will bring tremendous capability to this process. If you are going to cook a meal, grow a garden, or fix a vehicle it sure helps to have the proper tools. For so long there has been a need for something like this. The love and compassion along with the artistic and thoughtfully rendered utility of this resource will become I hope a great compliment to this website; and what people involved here are trying to do in tribute to Joseph Campbell's work.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

JJ! Just got it! Now need time to see it! Maybe tonight!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

James...

I sure hope so. I really enjoyed the DVD and look forward to speaking with folks here about it. I sure know that Joe's work changed my life...which is why I am here and have stuck around for several years now.

Clemsy...

I am looking forward to your take! Hopefully, between all those papers, you will have some time for a little break with some good liquid refreshment and mythology. 8)
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

JJ, just finished watching it with my wife and we were both completely blown away. I'm going to have to process the video in smaller bits now, glean specific quotes (what a wealth of quotes!)

And I will be at Pacifica in 2012. Time to take it to the next level!

Oh... and this DVD will be gifted far and wide...

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Thank you jonsjourney; ( Joe sure changed my life too. ) I thought it might be helpful to mention a couple of examples out of the study guide to give folks an idea of some of the types things that one might cover and how this material could be of use. In a study group there might be questions such as: What is a myth? Who am I ? What is My Life Story ? ( And your homework assignment is to put together a brief outline of your life history up to now. ) ( Oh and by the way you can keep this information private if you wish.) The main objective is to get you thinking and looking in a new way; a reflective way. [ I like to think of a question as being in quest of : like the dictionary; to seek; to ask - ( in search of the answer - like a detective ). Like a fisherman; a hunter; a seeker of the truth - your truth. I personally like what I might call the swiss army knife approach; like a navigator with his map, compass, and sextent; a fisherman with his tacklebox; a golfer with his set of clubs; a handyman with his toolbox - each being able to access an appropiate instrument for a specificate task at hand. ] Also required would be certain techniques or strategies to analyze, assess, and address whatever the needs or issues at hand might be. In the 6 chapters there are different topics and in the support groups there might be a facilatator; you might have certain rituals that would help promote a helpful atmosphere or type of cohesion, bonding, or support. There is by the way a seperate facilatator manual for about $49.00. Or you may just want to solo some of this material on your own. There are even suggested group screenings and online approaches if I am understanding correctly how some of this works. The applications of much of these components is quite a broad range. But I think the main objective here is to get you comfortable; give you options; get you active; and most important give you help and get you involved. You make a difference and it matters; alot ! I hope this post is not too rough but it is late and I have to work. Best Wishes !

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

On the bonus disc we are able to watch the animated portion of the DVD, The Bone Orchard, without the commentary sections. We can watch the entire story uninterrupted and allow the images to congeal a little better.

So, I was thinking about the Tree that we see at the beginning, and then a little later as the story is nearing its end.

The tree is barren. It's face is sad. It's expression could even be seen as "desperate". It got me to thinking about what may be symbolized here. It hunches over to hide its face after looking in the direction of the King.

Is the tree sad for us because we have allowed our dualistic thinking processes to estrange us from the natural world?

Is the tree sad because, in the Garden of Eden, it is the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge that separates humans from their innocence (nature) and prevents them from eating the fruit of the Tree of Life? I wonder, would YAHWEH have been as angry about eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life? How would that myth have possibly played out?

Is the desperation on the face of the tree because nature has suffered as much as humans because of this dualistic separation? Do we not exploit nature? Do we not seek to overcome, tame, and manipulate natural processes? Was the offering of the fruit as much of a sin for the tree as the taking of it was for humans?

The Bone Orchard is rich with symbolism. I have chosen one small early scene to look at now and I am sure we will find many, many little gems hidden in the rotting fruit we have tossed aside.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dear jonsjourney; Excellent, excellent question. Another thought occurred to me; perhaps The Tree and the Bone Orchard represents the barrenness of T.S. Elliott's " Wasteland " that Campbell talks about with people feeling trapped living inauthentic lives. This is just the sort of thing I think the DVD meant to evoke. Also interesting is the bonus disk other features of various interviews of how all of this was put together. I also liked the occasional little charactors that would pop up like the mink or the gargoyle looking in somewhat amusement at what was going on with the King and Corpse. Symbolism there ? Maybe, or maybe playful whimsy.

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

James...

There is little doubt that the Bone Orchard is a wasteland and with the "Campbellian" current running through the DVD, it would not be a stretch to imagine that your reference is correct.

The mink and gargoyle are definitely worth exploring as well. Perhaps the mink represents, again, man's exploitative attitude toward nature...we make valuable coats out of minks.

The possible symbolism of the gargoyle is interesting as well....notice that it is hiding under the bridge...a place where trolls used to live.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Spent the morning teasing out some quotes. There's a bunch! I posted this to my FB:
“We are dying from literalism. People who sail planes into skyscrapers are people who literally believe stories that are metaphors. …We’re all in desperate trouble from people who simply don’t know what a metaphor is.” ~ Honora Foah

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Whenever I post such comments on my facebook page, I get the evil eye from more than a few "friends". In fact, I cut loose a big bunch of high school people who must have felt compelled to add me because of FB recommendations. The Christian conservative lot were not big fans of my postings. :lol:

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

The Christian conservative lot were not big fans of my postings.-JJ
Yep..."leper, outcast, unclean". I've been disowned over time as well. Sigh.... :(
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Well, folks kind of expect it of me. Besides, I really have no friends who practice traditional, no less fundamentalist, faith on any regular business. Some of my students are, and that's interesting. There are parts of this video that would be... unwise of me to show in class.

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Yep..."leper, outcast, unclean". I've been disowned over time as well. Sigh.... -Neo
You know what Neo, I am glad when someone walks away from me for such reasons. If a person is so bogged down in their narrow view of the world that they cannot accept me for what I am, then I would rather they move on. As I have aged, I have come to learn and respect that fact that while I may have a smaller quantity of friends these days, the few that I do have are of a much greater quality. Frankly, I would rather be alone than compromise just to "get along" with fundamentalists. :)

It is said that the final words of the Buddha before he died were these...
"Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation."

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Checkout the trailer and some outtakes from the video HERE.