Please Help Me Use Mythology In a Psychiatric Hospital

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Alexei,

Welcome to the Conversations. We're all wishing you the very best. It's satisfying work.

I worked as a legal counselor for a community mental health center, and all my clients were poor. Suggest you take a special look for myths that are sensitive to issues of poverty and ethnic diversity.

There are myths and legends about Africans, Latinos, Native Americans that allow young men to relate and connect. There's a lot of material out there. Just pick a few good ones to start.

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Alex,

I think that I was one of them long years ago -a desperate big city guy who doesn’t really know where to go in a modern society.
Where to find ‘right’ role models is an important question when growing up in unfavorable circumstances.

Where to seek help and guidance when family can nomore fulfill its function? This is a crucial question and I strongly suggest support and recovery groups of all kinds. There you hear the stories that can really help and give inspiration to become ‘someone’. Someone who doesn’t deny his ethnicity yet, also someone feeling sufficently confident when living in a modern society.

For instance, if you have Japanese ancestors and live in New York City, don’t think that people would expect you act like a traditional Japanese hero. This almost never happens. Instead, they’d rather be interested in to which extent you can cope with common values of present-day American society.

The same is equally true for all ethnical backgrounds, I believe. So, their ‘right’ models should be people who have found ways to become ‘a Frenchman and a human being’ at the same time -in Campbell’s words. And ‘right’ stories ought to provide cues about how to acquire those shared values without denying your ethnicity.

At that age, I needed stories to learn to become a Japanese & a Newyorker at the same time. I needed to become a proud Japanese warrior who can make it in the wilderness of big city. I needed to become a man - but in global terms.

I needed to love my ethnicity but also love all my brothers who’ve never been to Tokyo -who’re Irish, Black, Jewish, Yellow and so on. And that’s not an impossible task when you don’t forget that we’re all human.

Big city always ask for synthesis. So, a guy living and dying in Chinatown is of no interest to Big Apple.
Big Apple wants Japanese guys talking American slang and wearing French haute-couture. You’re never asked to become an American but a Newyorker in the first place. Noone cares how you speak English so far as you can get through. And the real challenge is that you have to make it when there’s no other Japanese around!

So, my humble suggestion is; support and recovery groups and their literature. You know why?
There can be nothing new in normality. Heroism often comes with some ‘sickness’ that heals the society at the end.

Thanks

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Ercan,

I didn't realize you were Japanese, and the journey in New York explains your abilty to bridge cultures.

I enjoy your insights and observations.

Carmela

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dear Ercan;

Thank you for helping us to understand. Looking through someone elses eyes can teach so much. Especially someone as patient as you. How hard it must have been. We are lucky to have you here with us. Thank you my friend. :D
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Edited: 03/12/14
Last edited by JamesN. on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Carmela and James,

Apparently, there’s no more horizons for most of us and we’re all like envoys
of different cultures to the highly-atomized structure of modern societies.
This is an ever-changing new environment and requires new myths or brand
new interpretations. I’m reading your posts very slowly with all my attention and
don’t want to answer in a rush -especially at this particular time of my life that
doesn’t remind of anything familiar in the past. Respectfully

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Ercan2121 wrote: ...don’t want to answer in a rush -especially at this particular time of my life that
doesn’t remind of anything familiar in the past. Respectfully
Have you had enough time, Ercan?

:shock:

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

So sorry Carmela and James, that was nearly six months ago
and fortunately i can still remember that day I posted this here.

To be honest, I needed what I found here desperately, so I kept it
for myself. And I still think that these stories are so precious that
it may sound very impolite to talk about more. Words are only
qualifications and limitations, they say and silence is golden.

Do you think that I’m acting selfishly?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Edited: 03/12/14
Last edited by JamesN. on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Great stories, here!
By the way, thanks a lot for the private message, James :)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Ercan2121 wrote: Do you think that I’m acting selfishly?
Never, Ercan. Great to read this again.

~