Myth and Neuroscience at TEDx

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

David Eagleman has a great approach to science.

Here's a link to his TED talk ... he has done some great research about synesthesia and time perception. I'm not sure if it's on-topic, but, hey ... :idea:

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

This was an amazing video - I was going to start a thread about this left brain/right brain phenomena, but we've kicked around the idea of neuroplasticity around here in a few places before. This thread already exists & I think it will work - 8)

I plan on following up on her work, but wanted to share this with y'all - enjoy! It's only about 20 minutes... :wink:

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

It's particularly powerful coming from someone familiar, from an external perspective, with what happens in the brain and being able to sync that with personal interior experience - but even if she weren't a brain scientist, her account would still be fascinating. Jill Bolte Taylor's story of her trauma, coupled with Steve Jobs' last words - "Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow" - tend to temper my own fear of the unknown ...

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Here's another one from TEDed Jane Hirshfield: The art of the metaphor

Not neuroscience maybe, but interesting, for sure.

Peace,
AL
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck