Myths for children

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

lazrowp
Associate

Myths for children

Post by lazrowp »

My 4 year old son LOVES anything with superheros! What are some myths that I could introduce to him that he would like? I am hoping to focus on mythologial stories that Disney hasn't covered.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi lazrowp and welcome to the JCF Conversations of a higher order!

Good question!

Off the top of my head, the story of Phaeton, Daedelus and Icarus, Ceres and Persephone, King Midas, Odysseus and the Cyclops (hmmm.... may be too gruesome. Lots of Odysseus's crew get eaten), the Labors of Herakles, the Theft of Thor's Hammer (very amusing, that one)...

... A lot of them are pretty gruesome.

Those just off the top of my head. Do a Google and see what you come up with.

Enjoy!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

N8N
Associate

Re: Myths for children

Post by N8N »

lazrowp wrote:My 4 year old son LOVES anything with superheros! What are some myths that I could introduce to him that he would like? I am hoping to focus on mythologial stories that Disney hasn't covered.
Aesops fables, Myths for children with a message hidden inside for later. Like Crackerjacks for your brain.

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Alongside Greek myths, try for Indian, Chinese, Japanese also... India is a vast treasure house of myth, I can assure you. Try these comics:

http://www.amarchitrakatha.com/

These reproduce Indian myths in traditional comic book format. I used to love them as a child.

And they are relatively cheap. :wink:

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

lazrowp
Associate

Post by lazrowp »

What about gender? I hate it when girls have to get "pink dolls" and boys get the "red trucks." But now that I have my son, I admit he does like "boy things" (at least for now.)

Are there myths that are more "girl-ish" versus "boy-ish?"