The Mythology of Art

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Neoplato
Associate

The Mythology of Art

Post by Neoplato »

I'm having a very difficult time getting through "Creative Mythology" which makes me wonder if I'm out of touch with my "Dionysian" side. All this stuff about the troubadours, amor, romance, art, James Joyce, Thomas Mann, "Tristan"...Ouch! It makes my head hurt. :?

So in an effort to "Awaken my Mthological Mind" to these notions of artistic myths, I decided to start up a new thread.

Are there any other Apollonians out there in the same boat?
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I don't understand what you're having trouble with, Neoplato. What's up?

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Cindy B. wrote:I don't understand what you're having trouble with, Neoplato. What's up?

Cindy
Well...this is the first Joseph Campbell book that I'm finding a chore to read. I keep saying to myself, "This stuff is important to know, keep reading" so I press on and then I get to a part that my mind considers "nonsense" and I wind up skipping 20 or so pages until I can find something I can "digest".

Luckily Joe liked to go off on tangents, and it's the "tangents" that have captured my attention. However, I'm obviously overlooking key points to Campbell's teachings. :?
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

What's coming across as "nonsense"? Maybe a another point of view will help.

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung