Native American Art and the Secret Rose

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Annah
Associate

Native American Art and the Secret Rose

Post by Annah »

Hello to everyone!
I’m Maura from Italy and I do research on Native American Art.
At Turin University I met a wonderful teacher who introduced me to the magazine on Native American Studies “Tepee” (it is on the web, too) and I write articles on that subject, on Architecture (I’m an architect, actually: it is my full time job) and on Mythology, from time to time.
A couple of years ago, I started do conferences on Native American Art and, of course, mythology is really helpful to connect people to a different point of view in terms of “creating art”.
When I feel people in the audience is “ready”, I always explain Navajo sand-paintings, and in general number four in Native American Spirituality, through W.B. Yeats “The Secret Rose” as I saw Joseph Campbell did in the DVD “Mythos”. Well I try to.
It is astonishing how people always react to this kind of “transversal” explanation. I assume, we in Italy, are quite accustomed to the idea: all of us studied Dante Alighieri and the Divina Commedia at school ,and quite a lot of Greek myths as well. Besides, I see that people, regardless age or cultural preparation, is keen on the ideas and terminology, connected to myths or symbols, and more prompt to remember specific notions within Native American art, when taught a bit of “Alchemic Rose” (as I call it) first.
I’d like to make you two answers:
First: I’d like to do a proper translation in Italian of specific subjects worked out by Joseph Campbell, and use them in my conferences and articles. There are translations of Joseph Campbell work, but none of his lessons or conferences. Can you address me to someone who can give me proper permission?
Second: any kind of ideas on Art/Myths in general from all of you, will be really welcomed.
Thank you.
Love, Maura

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Annah, and welcome to the JCF Forums! I'll forward your question on to the Foundation's managing editor.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Hello, Maura.

Your subject is a fascinating one. Being from New Mexico, I have been exposed to a lot of Native art, and since I am Indian by blood, my art is part of that tradition, though it is non-tribal. I represent one of the Lost Tribes of the Americas, and our energies tend to be somewhat scattered. The keepers of The Past enjoy a focus and a niche that the blood Indians lack. We who are descendants of faceless peoples are free and without boundaries.

Anyway, are you from Italy originally or how do you come to be there, (if you don't mind my asking)?

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Annah
Associate

Post by Annah »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner,
just a few words:
to Clemsy.. Thank you I'm looking forward good news
and to Carmela: I was born in Italy, and I live in Italy so I think I'm Italian, even if my roots are really messed up: form Italy, England, Greece, USA. And my boyfriend is from Scotland: does it count? Joking.Your area is really reach in native american art and there are some good young artist there such as Mateo Riomero. Have you ever heard of him?
Cheers to evryone,
Maura M. A.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Welcome to JCF forums, Annah :)

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi again, Maura.

Not sure if I had forwarded your query or not, so I just did again. Should hear back soon.

Thanks,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Annah wrote:... to Carmela: I was born in Italy, and I live in Italy so I think I'm Italian, even if my roots are really messed up: form Italy, England, Greece, USA. And my boyfriend is from Scotland: does it count? Joking.Your area is really reach in native american art and there are some good young artist there such as Mateo Riomero. Have you ever heard of him?
Cheers to evryone,
Maura M. A.
Your background is a great combination of color and flavor and spice. We are pleased to welcome you to our Conversations.

Thank you for your mention of Mateo Romero. He is a well-known pueblo artist. His work adds a modern touch to the vibrant Indian art of New Mexico.

http://www.towa-artists.com/mateo-g-romero/art-work.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateo_Romero_(artist)

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene