Exploring Joseph Campbell and cutting the Gordian Knot

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

JamesN. wrote: ( To thoses who are curious we were just sharing a moment of whimsical " Folly ". Wouldn't you agree Cindy? ) :wink: :lol:
And, uh, not a "conversation of a higher order."

Bad shadow, behave. :twisted:

At least in public. :P
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This reminds me. A little frivolity might be a good thing to create a thread about; say favorite comedians or something; ( alive or dead ) it doesn't really matter; and leave this open for us to create something to lift the mood. It doesn't have to be that; it could maybe something interactive or a game; just something that we could enjoy tossing around. The point is we could do this together so it isn't just one person's thing. you know; a colabrative effort. ( I know we already have a kind of joke or humor thread but maybe something new just to get some fun going on. I'll leave this open for floor discussion if anyone has thoughts. )

Anyone? :D
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

There's always one way to find out for sure, James--set up your new thread. 8)

Cindy

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Byebye to all those who go :wink:
Aren't-we all happy in our own parish?
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Nermin wrote:Byebye to all those who go :wink:
Instead, stay my friends.
Talk, discuss, quarrel over a straw but stay :cry:

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Ercan2121 wrote:
Nermin wrote:Byebye to all those who go :wink:
Instead, stay my friends.
Talk, discuss, quarrel over a straw but stay :cry:
Ercan,

There can be no talk and no growth when people agree on every single issue.
Besides, sometimes I'm talking metaphorically. James had started this thread
under a Venus transit and then for reasons unknown, he stopped posting altogether.

On the other hand, Middle East is truly a difficult place, my friends. Half of the world
live with Middle Eastern belief systems and we're still fighting. You know what I mean?

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

No problem on my part, Nermin

Sometimes I think that you don't have any 'ceiling'
and no limit at all when arguing on this or that topic
but I can understand because I've got a cosmopolitan
(in the sense multi-cultural) background and the intellectual
climate was very favorable for this in late seventies when
I was growing. No young person was conservative at that time :)

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

You're like the city of Paris, my friend,
One can feel the French accent all the time :lol:

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

And that's an honest compliment, Ercan.

After all, what remains of Campbell when you take
away all the cultures he's familiar with or all the languages
he spoke?

Only the folk idea and the illusion of standing right in
the middle of the world :(

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Nermin wrote: Only the folk idea and the illusion of standing right in
the middle of the world :(
Do-you think that's the root of the problem in Middle East, Nermin?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello everyone.

I feel I must respond to a couple of rather ungenerous or suggestive comments concerning Nermins recent posts to clear up any misconceptions on the construction of this thread and any lack of my prescence here.

To start off everyone here has a life with the activities that require it's maintenance. Also with the 76,000 posts on 3800 thread topics No One is tied or tethered to any one single thread. People wander because they may be engaged in more than one thread or conversation at one time. And to add to that; the topical content of these posts has a tendency to wander a bit; which I think is healthy; because; to me; it promotes more a enlightened disscussion. However; when they start to drift too far off from a reasonable distance; then adjustments are in order. ( This is where the Moderators advice is needed. ) The genesis of this very thread came from that exact reason. With a discussion drift off subject from Clemsy's " Dream Class " thread; which was brought to our attention; I conferred with Clemsy and Cindy and set up this separate topic.

( The focus of the subject stated was on the exploration of causes of the psychological perceptions as barriers that imprison humanity. Relating them to Joseph Campbell's insights as a possible avenue to break free as in the metaphor of " Cutting the Gordian Knot " was it's intent. ) The discussion was opened with the reference to " looking for fair ground as a place to begin ". " Cultural bias " was an excellent place to start; and the " Middle East " is ( only one ) of the examples from which to draw. " Asia and The West "; provide others but this is really only the starting point. " The effects of this imprint on children " is another point; as well as the many spiritual and political dimensions that really only just scratch the surface of topic possibility; not to mention the psychological mechanisms involved.

As to addressing the assumption that " conflict of ideas " is the only spark worthy of consideration to generate intellectual growth as a concept; you may find; falls far short as an ideal in which to promote the very thing to which you are aspiring; ( metaphorically or not ). If you say discourse as debate you had well better include at least some degree of agreement as well; for you will have only argument without it.

And finally to add; this website was set up to explore and better understand Joseph Campbell's work. We are approaching another new and exciting threshold. Three new things that will add to compliment this new direction have just been announced: the new Myth website; " ROW6.com " ( which is about globally connecting ); and of course the new format. ( I have looked at the two new sites and they are exciting. You will be hearing more about them I am sure. )

( And as to the suggestive remarks about parish or astrological transit I was truely sad to see them. The bright full moon's glow and warmth of good intentions shared over time between us seems to have dimmed a bit. :( )

Ercan; as always your sensitive efforts to help and encourage efforts on this website are sincerely appreciated. 8)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

JamesN. wrote:The focus of the subject stated was on the exploration of causes of the psychological perceptions as barriers that imprison humanity. Relating them to Joseph Campbell's insights as a possible avenue to break free as in the metaphor of " [/i]Cutting the Gordian Knot " was it's intent. ) The discussion was opened with the reference to " looking for fair ground as a place to begin ". " Cultural bias " was an excellent place to start; and the " Middle East " is ( only one ) of the examples from which to draw. " Asia and The West "; provide others but this is really only the starting point. " The effects of this imprint on children " is another point; as well as the many spiritual and political dimensions that really only just scratch the surface of topic possibility; not to mention the psychological mechanisms involved.

As to addressing the assumption that " conflict of ideas " is the only spark worthy of consideration to generate intellectual growth as a concept; you may find; falls far short as an ideal in which to promote the very thing to which you are aspiring; ( metaphorically or not ). If you say discourse as debate you had well better include at least some degree of agreement as well; for you will have only argument without it.
My main concern about psychological perceptions is that they cut both ways. The "us and them" business is a foundational bias. The good guys vs. the bad guys, the conflict paradigm for discussion and related matters concern me.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Nice " Gordian Knot " aspect you are underlining CarmelaBear. Now as to the point of " Intellectual Growth " verses " Resolution Through Discourse " to me; is ruled in one sense by the construct of the parameters that you put in place thereby defining what that is. IMHO

Thank you CarmelaBear for bringing this up. 8)

Incidently; just so we can make this a more accessable topic lets just set some ground rules. Lets try and see if we can make it relative and fun; ( especially in areas concerning abstract concepts like what has been referred to as: the merry-go-round " thread of free will as an example ). :wink:

( Cindy: I borrowed this from your " Whimsical Folly " post. :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck
Last edited by JamesN. on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

James, I admit that I'm confused... :?

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Confucius didn't seem at all confused as he blew the whistle on the Socrates triumph. Nice sporting competition among peers......not exactly the stuff that concerns the Joint Chiefs, but I suppose we could take it under advisement while we figure out why Cindy is the least bit confused.

Perhaps a little claret-y is called for right about now. After all, perception might affect the convivial atmosphere we've worked so hard to achieve.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene