Higgs Boson - up to the teeth :-)

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Cindy B. wrote:For now, anyway, how about knowledge for knowledge's sake? :?
As I said earlier, that's how the scientist operates, Cindy. It's we engineers who decide how to implement the knowledge - if it is implementable. So we are the ones who infuse "values" into science by deciding on its application! (Jon-are you there? :wink: )

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I understand that, nandu, but it seems to me that we're back to the confusion that often pops up when it comes to scientific experimentation vs. application. We cycled through this one before, remember?

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Nermin wrote:
Andreas wrote:What are the practical applications of this new discovery? Anyone knows?
What is the practical value of a cathedral, Andreas?

LHC of Geneva has a symbolic value -IMHO.
Higgs particle, quarks¹ and even more.
Our new sacred place that opens our perception to subatomic
frontiers. Don't you think it-is?

¹a little note about the etymology of the word ‘quark’

'Three quarks for Muster Mark!
Sure he has not got much of a bark
And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.'

—James Joyce, Finnegans Wake
In 1963, when I assigned the name "quark" to the fundamental constituents of the nucleon, I had the sound first, without the spelling, which could have been "kwork". Then, in one of my occasional perusals of Finnegans Wake, by James Joyce, I came across the word "quark" in the phrase "Three quarks for Muster Mark". Since "quark" (meaning, for one thing, the cry of the gull) was clearly intended to rhyme with "Mark", as well as "bark" and other such words, I had to find an excuse to pronounce it as "kwork". But the book represents the dream of a publican named Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker. Words in the text are typically drawn from several sources at once, like the "portmanteau" words in "Through the Looking-Glass". From time to time, phrases occur in the book that are partially determined by calls for drinks at the bar. I argued, therefore, that perhaps one of the multiple sources of the cry "Three quarks for Muster Mark" might be "Three quarts for Mister Mark", in which case the pronunciation "kwork" would not be totally unjustified. In any case, the number three fitted perfectly the way quarks occur in nature.

Murray Gell-Mann, The Quark and the Jaguar
and a reminder
A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake (1944) by Joseph Campbell and Henry Morton Robinson is a work of literary criticism. One of the first major texts to provide an in-depth analysis of Finnegans Wake (James Joyce's final novel), A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake is considered by many scholars to be a seminal work on the text. The term monomyth, which Campbell used to describe his journey of the hero in his book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, came from Finnegans Wake.

Campbell quoting James Joyce says: “The monomyth is an everlasting reiteration of unchanging principles and events inflected in particular and unique ways.” That is to say, fundamentally, there is one narrative. However, this form demands of us that we live our unique narrative out. We cannot live someone else’s narrative. Campbell was insistent that we enter the woods alone where it is thickest and where no path exists.

Campbell and Robinson originally began their unlocking of Joyce's masterwork for two reasons: because Finnegans Wake, while widely recognized as a masterpiece, was also widely dismissed as unintelligible--"the greatest book that nobody's ever read"; and because they had recognized in The Skin of Our Teeth, the popular play by Thornton Wilder, an appropriation from Joyce's novel not only of themes but of plot and language.
Wikipedia
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu »

Cindy B. wrote:I understand that, nandu, but it seems to me that we're back to the confusion that often pops up when it comes to scientific experimentation vs. application. We cycled through this one before, remember?

Cindy
We are doing cycling (read "chasing our collective tails") in almost all of the threads nowadays... which is why I disappeared from the fora for a time. :wink:
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

It looks like NPR has been reading our conversations. Tell me if this doesn't sound familiar. :lol: :wink:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/07/1 ... -of-ethers
Aristotle and Peter Higgs walk into a pub. Higgs, as usual, orders a malt. Aristotle, more of a wine fellow, stays close to his Greek roots......
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

'Terror is the feeling that arrests the mind in the presence of whatsoever is grave
and constant in human sufferings and unites it with the secret cause'
Joyce, indeed
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Thank you Nermin for the quote. I found a nice discussion
about this quote in the Hero.