Hero's Journey teaching thread

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Hero's Journey teaching thread

Post by JamesN. »

http://www.websterschools.org/webpages/ ... page=19365

The above link is taken from the " Webster School " as a teaching tool I got from a post that Clemsy made in the " Follow Your Bliss " forum that I thought might be of interest to anyone who is interested in the " Monomyth " of " The Hero's Journey ". It would possibly make for interesting discussion on this most important of Joseph Campbell's themes.
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Actually, the educator in question is an associate, Amethystrose, who's posted a few times though not in a while. I met her at the Study of Myth symposium early last month. Indeed, we presented together.

I'll let her know this thread has been started. :-)
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

AmethystRose
Associate

Post by AmethystRose »

Hello! I am jumping into the discussion because it's my classroom website in mention.

I work diligently to weave myth into all the units I teach. In spite of the Common Core restrictions (not to mention the upcoming PARCC framework we will have to follow on a naitonal level), I am still able to incorporate myth. We are currently finishing a unit on a non-fiction piece called Every Bone Tells a Story, and even though it's a forensic anthropology piece, I had the kids research stories/myths from the early cultures that inhabited each region where the hominins were discovered. They had to analyze the tales for what they could learn about the various cultures through the stories, and then we had story-telling day in class. The kids actually got costumes and re-told stories from Native American, Celtic, African and early Italian cultures. It was a lot of fun, and now that we have "pop in" observations from administrators (thank you APPR), it just so happened that the principal, the superintendent, and the assistant superintendent happened to "pop in" during the story telling. I pointed out the links to the Common Core (especially the speaking standards) that the entire unit has been meeting, and they were impressed with what they saw. SOOO... it is possible to keep myth alive in the midst of this educational reform mess!
It is the journey, not the destination that is important.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello AmethystRose.

First let me say what a wonderful thing you are doing here and one I feel is so relevant to the issue of introducing this important work. It provides a much needed and accessible gateway to the understanding and assimilation of this special area of one of Joseph Campbell's major themes that in my opinion can be of vital significance; not only for children but for adults as well.

If I may I would like to suggest a video documentry that was done in 2010 called: " Mythic Journeys "; which includes an interesting study guide for facilitating discussions; ( and also offers an additional more comprehensive version for purchase ). It is endorsed by Robert Walters; whom you may already know is the foundation's President; and of course has the support of other notable persons as well. ( The included downloadable study guide is quite good by itself. ) You may already be aware of this material but I thought it worth mentioning. There may be other associates who have interesting suggestions on this topic as well.

Again; a truly great effort and I wish you much success. :D

Below is a link to their website.

http://www.mythmovie.net/

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

To moderators Clemsy and Cindy, author of the mentioned teaching website - AmethystRose; and of course anyone else who has thoughts here.

Question: What is the ( relationship ) between Joseph Campbell's concept or definition of " The Hero's Journey " and Carl Jung's concept or definition of the process of " Individuation "?

( I am framing this question in this particular way because I feel there exists a very specific connection to, and relationship between, these two concepts. ) :idea:

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Jung and Campbell

Post by Cindy B. »

First, James, go here, please: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 6665#56665

Second, note that the hero's journey is part of the individuation process.

Last, have you read our Jung threads? If not, if you begin here with Part One, along the way you'll find a clarification of Jungian terms and concepts and including comparisons with Campbell's thought: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 2923#52923

Happy reading!

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

AmethystRose
Associate

Post by AmethystRose »

I agree that Individuation is linked to The Hero's Journey. When we read Great Expectations or The Hunger Games, we examine the individuation process of Pip and Katniss Everdeen. In preparation for our discussion of Individuation, we read David Adams Leeming's commentary on "Origins and Initiation" (in Mythology: The Voyage of the Hero), which includes a passage from Jung about Individuation. We then read the tales of Theseus, Cuchulainn, Seigfried, David and Joan of Arc (each group reads a different tale). Each group examines how the hero/ine moves through Individuation, and what we can learn about the culture based on each particular tales... WHY do these stories still survive? WHAT can we learn about the people who tell THIS particular story? WHAT do these people seem to value/believe about the initiation process? The rationale for collaborating small groups using a variety of stories is so that when each group discusses what its assigned culture seems to value through the story, students begin to see that although the stories may be very different, the same basic human values shine through. Students also begin to realize that these core beliefs actually permeate their own experience. Values like courage, honesty, cleverness, honoring the dead, and overcoming obstacles speaks as much to their own lives as it does to both mythic and modern literary characters. After the discussions about the myths, we then turn to Pip and/or Katniss with a better understanding of Individuation (at least as best can be understood by a 14 year old...Jung is a challenge for them). :D

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Cindy and AmethystRose.

Thank you for the great shared insights and suggestions; especially the " Jungian " links. ( I'm still working on this material. It will take awhile. :wink: )

I must apologize for the rather clumsy attempt or request of marrying Jung and Campbell together; for my aim was really directed towards the discussion of the illustration of certain themes. These had to do with the understanding of reading mythological insights and intergrating them into a personal landscape or life course. And then putting this together with the search for identity as a navigational device. ( My articulation here may be somewhat lacking; so bear with me. :lol: ) None-the-less we are off and running.

One of the things that Clemsy's " Dream Class " thread has in common with AmethystRoses's website along with the themes of Joseph Campbell's work is this utilization of great literature; ( both old and new ). These themes have informed societies over generations about the eternal or timeless values that have not only been the building blocks of civilizations but the storehouse's of deeper psychological insights that have been guides to self-knowledge, wisdom, human understanding and life experience that can become the signposts for life navigation. ( And from many different cultures; not just the " Western Cannon ". )

I would also like to interject something else along this line here that I feel is relative. That is the application to not only the needs for the young people coming in to the life cycle; but also to the aging out of the elderly which has not been addressed very much; ( yet ). There is a tsunami of " Boomer " generation elderly just starting to emerge; ( and this is also something several middle-aging folks here might want to consider as they approach these " Senior " years ). There are many many themes to be addressed concerning ( Individuation and The Hero's Journey ) within this realm and the " redifinition " of what constitutes life experience.

In addition for those interested is a live broadcast lecture with a question and answer session on the subject of " Carl Jung's " work and "Healing ". ( November 1st; 7:00 ET ) This will be headed up by Foundation President: " Robert Walters ". It will be recorded and sold later for those who are interested. ( Details are on the homepage. )

In the end there is an geat number of different avenues to be explored in these collections of various insights to be found within Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung's work. And the ground work being laid by efforts to introduce these themes at an early age; much less at a latter stage of life; can have a far ranging and profound impact on the individual's ability to navigate the inevitable different types of life crisis one can expect from one stage of living to the next; from childhood to death. One worth noting is a reference of Walter's to Joseph Campbell's understanding of Myth's relevance to living in the modern world. " Your Furies within you can enrich you or destroy you. " One of the things Joe said on another ocassion was: " When people find out what is ticking in them they get straightened out. " ( So much of their work addresses exactly these conditions. ) And if you look at so many examples of murder and violence from psychological meltdown playing out on the news; then I think the teaching of these insights is more critical now than ever; to both young, old, or any age. At least as I see it.

I will quote Jung here from " Reflections on the Art of Living: A Joseph Campbell Companion, by Diane Osbon:
" In the last analysis,every life is the realization of a whole, of a self, for which reason this realization can be called ' individuation '. All life is bound to individual carriers who realize it, and it is simply inconceivable without them. But every carrier is charged with an individual destiny and destination, and the realization of this alone makes sense of life. "

And also a comment on Jung concerning this process from the same chapter:
" To become - in Jung's terms - individuated, to live as a released individual, one has to know how and when to put on and to put off the masks of one's various life roles... The aim of individuation requires that one should find and then learn to live out of one's own center, in control of one's for and against. And this cannot be achieved by enacting and responding to any general masquerade of fixed roles. "
Efforts at identifying these insights as exemplified here and elsewhere on this website at JCF are to me what these aims help accomplish. :idea:

And again this may be a rather imperfect attempt here; but I certainly claim to be no authority and am only interpreting in the way I see this. :)

Namaste

AmethystRose
Associate

Post by AmethystRose »

James,

I just got my copy of Mythic Journeys, and I am very excited to use it with my kids. I also got the "free" lesson ideas and am going through it to see what I am able to use in my classroom. Thank you for the heads up!

We begin our Hero's Journey unit in earnest this week... I'm very excited (as always) for this time of year. The students will start the 60 Day Sojourn online, and then they begin working on their short stories. This year we are putting flesh on the hominin bones of Turkana Boy, Lapedo Child, Iceman, and Kennewick Man. It should make for fun reading!

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

To be honest, I consider Mythic Journeys to be light years better than Finding Joe, which, while a fine film, does have one annoying flaw: all the people interviewed on their hero journeys are the rock stars of their fields. Would have been much better if some regular, you and I type folks had been included.

I bought two copies of MJ. One to lend. Right now both are lent out. lol!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

How wonderful AmethystRose. :D

I hope that you can share some of this experience with us; ( of course with the understanding of whatever you feel is appropiate ); in what you are doing. It may not only help others who are reading this to give them help in their own immediate circumstances; but also possibly help them in the formation of ideas for other pursuits in this direction.

One of the prime examples Robert Walters suggests is the understanding of the idea of connection between Myth and Personal Story; ( both in the " act of sharing " and the understanding of personal authorship. ) You obviously seem to be right on top of this; but for those reading this who are not I will leave this link to a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ND721qYpz4

What you are doing is terrific and I am sure will reap many important rewards not only to the precious lives that you touch but in you own experience. Clemsy has shared quite a few inspiring and illuminating insights about his students and his life as a teacher on his thread as I feel sure yours will provide as well.

Awesome 8)

PS: My apologies here for any confusion. Clemsy posted just ahead of mine.

Namaste :)

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Speaking of Robert Walters as I was pulling up the previous clip on youtube I literally tripped over this 3 part interview done by him in Brazil on Joseph Campbell and it is very cool. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xke2kNZf ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLti2WYH ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2VfqK1A ... ure=relmfu

Check it out for additional perspective on the global influence Joseph Campbell's work is now having; and the grand efforts the foundation is making towards this outreach. :idea:

Cheers :D

AmethystRose
Associate

Post by AmethystRose »

To both James and Clemsy,

I am very excited about Mythic Journeys! My students watched the video that I presented at the Symposium, and they are now fired up after hearing from former students about the work we have done in previous years.

Thanks for all your encouragement! I will keep you posted as to how things are going!

Clemsy, I want to hear about what's going on in your classes!!!

:lol: