Power and Human Interaction

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Reporters Without Borders puts out a ranking of 180 nations based on freedom of the press.
Most freedom: Finland
United States: 46th
Least freedom: Eritrea

http://rsf.org/index2014/en-index2014.php

~

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Excellent Carmela.

And since power and the exchange of free thought on the global stage have been brought up here is an interesting piece I just saw posted on the Huffington Post about the crisis unfolding in Ukraine with Russia. Now on first impression it would seem Putin is just marching in to take over; ( and in some aspects this is probably true ); however the first question to be asked before taking any action is " why? "; and no one really seems to be doing that until now. An " informed and cool headed point-of-view " adds clarity and the ability to see things without all the emotional heat and static that run the risk of exacerbating the situation even further. ( Make no mistake this is a cold and calculated manipulative power play to be sure. ) But as you will see there are other pieces of the puzzle also in play that go further down the road. What is needed now is a " deft hand "; not a red line pushed by a thoughtless sense of machismo which got the US to open " Pandora's Box " in Iraq.

" Sabers are rattling " right now. Keep your fingers crossed; we'll see how this plays out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajan-men ... lp00000592
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I am waiting to see what the locals do.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Studies show that most people (70%+) have no trouble identifying themselves as conservative or liberal. World Values Survey

Scientists use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to locate the neurological basis for political identity. It turns out that the larger part of a liberal brain is associated with sympathetic activity and complex understanding (anterior cingulate cortex). The larger part of the conservative brain is associated with fear and anxiety (amygdala).

By looking at MRI's, an individual's beliefs and voting habits can be accurately predicted, (Our Political Nature by Avi Tuschman).

~

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

On a related note, Carmela, this 2005 study might interest you: Are Political Orientations Genetically Transmitted?

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

CarmelaBear wrote:Studies show that most people (70%+) have no trouble identifying themselves as conservative or liberal. World Values Survey

Scientists use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to locate the neurological basis for political identity. It turns out that the larger part of a liberal brain is associated with sympathetic activity and complex understanding (anterior cingulate cortex). The larger part of the conservative brain is associated with fear and anxiety (amygdala).

By looking at MRI's, an individual's beliefs and voting habits can be accurately predicted, (Our Political Nature by Avi Tuschman).

~
Good point Carmela. I might add to this that I think Joseph's insights interpret this situation at another level other than the physiological.

Something I have been struggling with is the question of: " How does one reconcile this harsh reality of living within today's world of misunderstanding, fear, mistrust, animosity and different agendas that compete for control; and turn this condition into an approach of integrating the participation of joyful/sorrow in the world's suffering and still keep a rational or realistic sense of balance? "

Recently I came across something that addresses this in a older dialogue between Joseph Campbell and Michael Tom's in the book: " An Open Life " where Toms brings up the global situation of fragmentation and Joe describes this as a result of the conflicting misunderstandings of various cultural and mythological systems which contributes to a person's reluctance to breakout and " Unshell " from the comfort zones of their " In-groups ". In this dialogue the point is brought out that the big challenge of " education " is the key and what must happen is a " bridge-building " that reconnects these groups to their " common humanity ". And also that one must also hang on to their own ideals and trajectory and to find kindred spirits because that is as he puts it: " the rule of life ". And as ( you the individual ) are constantly growing and evolving at the same time so is this free-fall passing away of the " older order of things "; so that while you are asking " What is my myth? " - you are discovering it and becoming an agent as it were for the world within the life you are living. In summation he says: " The only in-group that's proper for today is the planet. And there's an enormous challenge to open up to that; to give not only yourself but your culture to the planetary view. You see people pulling back into in groups which have a long tradition of self-preservation. We don't have the universal social image yet ".

Now I'm condensing several pages of this dialogue of course; but this was the take I took away from it. And it was a huge revelation concerning not only of my digesting of these various global conflicts like Ukraine; but of my own personal dilemmas of living in the world at several levels. And these " re-clarifications " of my understandings of some of my earlier interpretations of Joe's themes help me to reconcile some of these concerns as I move forward from here.

I realize this may be a little different position from what you were speaking to but I feel they are relevant to the topic none-the-less.

Cheers :)

( Cindy; Sorry I just missed your entry as I was posting. ) :roll:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Cindy B. wrote:On a related note, Carmela, this 2005 study might interest you: Are Political Orientations Genetically Transmitted?

:)
From that study:
…admitting that genetics influences political attitudes could actually help to mute societal divisions. Currently, absolutists and contextualists simply do not connect, and the result is frustration. To contextualists, absolutists appear simplistic and selfish; to absolutists, contextualists appear naive and indecisive. Each side talks past [the other], and is authentically miffed by the other. Recognizing that our political antagonists probably have a different genetic predisposition to people, life, human nature and politics may serve to ease frustrations and, eventually to improve communications across the chasm.

...value exists in recognizing that intransigence is not the fault of willful bullheadedness, but rather, genetically driven differences in orientation.

...as loathe as contextualists and absolutists are to admit it, the presence of the other orientation may make society stronger.
In essence, we must place ourselves in the shoes of the other.
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Carmela:
Nicely stated Carmela! 8)
Last edited by JamesN. on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I remember attending a National Women's Political Caucus event in Houston as a young student activist. Folks noticed how I expressed myself. When I returned from a restroom break, I learned that, in my absence, I had been elected National Spokeswoman for the Hispanic feminists. They said I was "well-spoken".

Still waiting for Godot, James.

Me and Miss Haversham.

:roll:

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Carmela have you ever considered helping with a local group in further exploring some of your varied interests. ( Just a thought. ) :)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

James,

My forays into the world beyond the cloistered walls of my caregiving work have not yielded the results I seek. However, ideas and opportunities keep coming along. I can be quite persistent.

The universe is a big place.

~

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Carmela:

Grantland Rice said: " It is not whether you win or lose that counts; but how you play the game. "; This is compassionately displayed in this brief clip I just spotted which I thought was pretty nice; ( even though I had to borrow your quote again ).

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sp ... nship-loss

The " dark " side of power is what often gets the press; but the other side is what moves us.

:wink:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Well, one person wrote me an email, asking if I will run for Guv as an independent. Mind you, not asking me to run, but curious about whether I might.

I would like to do so, and I don't know if anybody would help. Politics is hard work, expensive and dangerous. Maybe it is too late. I do not know.

Here is his blog site.

http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/

~

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

If you've ever wondered why there is so much " Hubris " in the political climate here is one of your main reasons. These guys are a prime example of spreading it and represent the " Citizen's United " dark side of politics. A bad example of money and power abuse. Skip the video and read the text to better understand what's currently happening. This is one of causes of where the effects of toxicity that contaminate the system come from. I try not to get caught up in the pull of this; but it's not always easy.

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-democrats- ... .html?vp=1

:roll:

Addendum: Someone pointed out in an earlier conversation: " When you engage a negative response with another negative response you run the risk of becoming that which you seek to destroy ". This is one of the bad side effects which like a disease is being spread in this public arena or environment and produces even more ill will and the gridlock we are seeing is the result. ( I wish I knew a good answer for this one. ) Campaign finance reform would be a good place to start I think. ( The root of power is there IMHO. ) Next would be getting rid of the lobbyists. :roll:
Last edited by JamesN. on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

How do we put ourselves in the shoes of the K Bros? Stopping them is a priority.

~