your favorite myths and the lessons they impart

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

the_hanged_man
Associate

your favorite myths and the lessons they impart

Post by the_hanged_man »

Hello all,
Very excited to be a part of this amazing community. I wanted to put forward this question, which, as an educator, is near to my heart.
What is your favorite myth or folktale (from any culture of course) and what lesson do you think it teaches about life?
Let's share the stories that shape our thoughts.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Hanged! Welcome to our little corner of the Internet! I don't have time to answer your question just now, but wanted to acknowledge your post.

What do you teach?

Oh, my blink response to your question is the Theseus myth. Tomorrow it could be Odysseus. The why's will have to wait. :-)

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

nandu
Associate

Re: your favorite myths and the lessons they impart

Post by nandu »

the_hanged_man wrote:Hello all,
Very excited to be a part of this amazing community. I wanted to put forward this question, which, as an educator, is near to my heart.
What is your favorite myth or folktale (from any culture of course) and what lesson do you think it teaches about life?
Let's share the stories that shape our thoughts.
Well, you asked a really tough question! There are many.

But right of the cuff I would say the myths that has influenced me most are the ones of Krishna. What lesson does it teach? I would say, what life is. :D

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

the_hanged_man
Associate

Post by the_hanged_man »

Very glad to be here. I teach English to middle school students, so the idea of the lessons of myth shaping lives is a very immediate one to me. For me, i would have to go with some of the classic trickster myths of north america. Coyote and Raven ones especially.