'Hero's Journey' Course in Conn.

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

bbyrne
Associate

Post by bbyrne »

Read with interest the notice of a HJ course being given at a school in Conn. Any contact person known to the group? Would be very interested in exploring such a course here in West Virginia. Initiation of youth into the world is a subject I am very interesed in and JC is the best resource I have ever found on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David_Kudler on 2003-06-06 10:01 ]</font>

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

bbyme--
First of all, welcome to the JCF forums.

Like you, I was fascinated by the story of South Kent School's Hero's Journey curriculum. I'd love to know more about it.

The school head at South Kent--and the person who seems to have been the contact person for the journalist who wrote the article--is a gent named Andrew J. Vadnais. When I tried to go to South Kent's web site (http://www.skent.pvt.k12.ct.us/) the server seems to have been down--I couldn't get any info. But the yellow pages gave me the following phone number for their admistrative offices: 860-927-3539

When you track Mr. Vadnais down, do let him know of our interest here, and do share any knowledge he may impart (with his permission, of course).

Two administrative notes of my own: first of all, while I did edit your message, it was only to change the thread title--I would never edit the body of an associates post without their permission (see the forum guidelines for the limited sorts of instances where a moderator might change something in a post). Secondly, this thread really belongs with the other education-related topics in the Awakening the Mythological Mind Conversation. Unless there is some objection, I'll move this thread there within the next week or so.
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

bbyrne
Associate

Post by bbyrne »

thanks for the guidance on the more appropriate thread...move my message as you deem appropriate. Next week I'll contact the school to see what I can find out. I am currently involved with a group of men who "journey" each summer to a mountain for a week where we explore issues associated with our own "hero's journey". JC's writings and philosophy are key along with a Native American spirituality. There is a real interest in bringing younger men into this experience, hence the interest in the Conn. school. I also think that an elective for HS seniors in this work would be a great addition to the liberal education we all say we value but sometimes fail to really implement.
Bill Byrne

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Sounds wonderful! Please keep us informed--both of what you find out from the folks in CT, and from your own experiences in your retreats.

Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. »

Hello bbyrne,

Welcome to the Forums! You might find this thread of interest:

http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... &forum=2&7

It is a growing collection of Hero Quest lesson plans and educational resources. Please keep us posted on what you learn!

Mark (mythinker)
Forum Moderator