Campbell Encyclopedia

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Oeming
Associate

Post by Oeming »

Are there any plans to publish a sort of Cambpell Encyclopedia? A listing of terms, symbols and such?

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Oeming, I too had the idea that a concentrated presentation of the symbols and terms Campbell used frequently would make a valuable book, as a special publication for the 100th birthday celebration year 2004. To avoid fixed or "official" interpretations my idea was rather an (everlasting) calendar with excerpts from Campbell lectures, photos, excerpts from Rebeccas's Myth letters and Manny's eNewsletters, some memories and thoughts by people who were in touch with Campbell or have edited his books or were inspired by his works in a way that is of public interest, a report about the (short) history of the JCF and the (long) history of Esalen etc etc.
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. »

Hello Oeming,

I was considering moving this thread to the Wisdom Pool forum (which is where research oriented questions find their home). But, then I thought the better of it. An encyclopedia a la Cambpell would be a powerful tool for use in teaching (which is why I kept it here!).

In some ways Power of Myth is an encyclopdia in conversation form. But I'm thinking along opposite lines of Martin and imagining an alphabetized and orderly exploration of Campbell's thinking. It might very well be cross-referenced and act as an index for the completed works... ok, perhaps too much!

Still, one of my few criticisms of Joseph Campbell is that his erudition - even in books that appeal to a wide audience - can trap the meaning of his message. A clear cut distillation of some of his ideas would really be helpful. I'll be eager to hear David Kudler's response to this thread!

Mark

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

On 2003-08-28 20:12, mythinker wrote:
I was considering moving this thread to the Wisdom Pool forum (which is where research oriented questions find their home). But, then I thought the better of it. An encyclopedia a la Cambpell would be a powerful tool for use in teaching (which is why I kept it here!).
Mark, funny that I had exactly the same (sequence of) thoughts!

I would prefer a calendar form though rather than a list in alphabetical order. Alpahabatical order is the most artificial and academic order I can imagine! The calendar is lived in a way, through the months and the seasons of the year. It would be a much nicer order, and much more appropriate to Campbell's way of thinking. Oh, I could tell you of my ideas what to write on bloomsday, on wednesday, on full moon, on holidays, on christmas days, on Hitler's, Picasso's and Groucho Marx's birthdays...
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Fin
Associate

Post by Fin »

I don't know if an encyclopedia of Campbell's interpretation of symbols would be a good form for his work. For one, it could end up being very similar to existing encyclopedias of Jung's interpretations of dream and the symbols in them.
Also, for me reading a Joseph Campbell book, or even just a chapter or occasionally a paragraph, is like going down a rabbit hole. Seems to me that a more encyclopedic medium would do away with that experience and might even prevent people from understanding the bigger picture behind the each individual interpretation.
When it comes to an encyclopedic treatment of symbols I'd rather see one that combines the interpretations by Campbell, Jung, Eliade, and more.

Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. »

Hi Fin,

I like your words regarding missing the big picture for the sake of the small. Sometimes I feel like I am missing the bits and pieces however -- Campbell's writing is often dense and layered. Maybe what I need instead of an encyclopedia is a "Joseph Campbell for Dummies"!

I wonder though if a catalog of Campbellian thought might serve to dispel some of the criticisms that Campbell was a universalist (perjoratively speaking). Nah... critics be damned.

Mark

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

On 2003-09-17 06:46, mythinker wrote:
Maybe what I need instead of an encyclopedia is a "Joseph Campbell for Dummies"!
But Joseph Campbell is Mythology for Dummies!!! That's why I like him so much! :eek:

Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. »

touche!