Education past, present and future

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Very cool Carmela. 8)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

This year, because of differences over the education budget in New Mexico, our state legislature is having a hard time passing a state budget. The largest part of government is education, which is run by isolated, unaccountable local school boards that are run like fiefdoms and built on patronage. The educators are at the mercy of boards that ignore special legislation that would increase teacher salaries and make real education for the poor something we could hope to achieve.

New Mexico is poorly organized to achieve even the most modest educational goals beyond churning out more credentials and more inadequate paychecks for people who really have not been able to help the students from homes where books are scarce, technology is used to reinforce a social pecking order and parents do not seem to be able to keep their children interested in school. The incentives for academic success are few and far between.

So sayeth CarmelaBear.

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

JamesN. wrote:Very cool Carmela. 8)
If I have an addiction to these Conversations, you are among my chief enablers.

:wink:

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

:lol: As Cindy has so often reminded: " We are all in this together; no? " :wink: :D

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I love it. Seriously.

:)

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

In the Chinese language, numbers are expressed in simple, transparent monosyllables, so that Asian children learn numbers quickly and easily. They can memorize lists of numbers very fast, because they are not burdened by such words As "thirteen" or "five thousand two hundred and twelve". In their language, it is something like multiplying or adding one syllable words, quickly and easily to form larger and more complex series of numbers. A Chinese child of four can manipulate mathematical sequences with snow-plowed ease by tapping into a number system that is clear, clean and fun.

The English language and the American system of measurement, (inches instead of centimeters), slow us down and create endless obstacles to thinking about and utilizing ordinal sequence.

The educational system in America is divising quotas to limit Asians from completely dominating U.S. schools. There are other ways that the Asian culture cuts through the knowledge and skill base to set everyone else aside. We would do well to learn from them.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

This article troubles me. To me this seemingly beniegn disguise is employed under the term " Britishness " to manipulate exposure to literature that helps promote " critical thinking skills ". And like the education " creative design " movement here in the US; its effect will produce the same potential for harm in the limiting of access to the teaching and cultivation of " free thought " and an open mind; no matter how cleverly it is cloaked.

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-education-reva ... 01827.html

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

That's interesting, James. The rhetoric sounds similar to what's going on over here, where literature is being minimized in favor of nonfiction. I wonder if they're doing the same and filtering out non-Brit works so that their own authors have whatever time is left.

Lord knows British authors are scattered throughout the curricula here.

But I think there's more here than meets the eye. i do know that the privatization of public schools movement is also quite active abroad.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Clemsy wrote:That's interesting, James. The rhetoric sounds similar to what's going on over here, where literature is being minimized in favor of nonfiction. I wonder if they're doing the same and filtering out non-Brit works so that their own authors have whatever time is left.

Lord knows British authors are scattered throughout the curricula here.

But I think there's more here than meets the eye. i do know that the privatization of public schools movement is also quite active abroad.

I thought so too Clemsy. I don't know how the British ( liberal / conservative ) point of views translate compared to those here in the US. And actually I was quite surprised when I saw this since they occupy such an important place in literary history. And then when I realized what two books they mentioned that really got my attention. I'll have to say though that there has been a shocking appearance of intense political conservatism that has been spreading across Europe. And whether this is related to economic woes, immigration, or religious concerns; I hope this is not an indication of " nationalism "; because that to me is not encouraging. It would be nice to know more; and perhaps I'm a bit over concerned; but maybe this might be worth watching. :?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Although unrelated to the above " Britishness " piece; I just came across this article concerning protest and free thought over the military coup that has now taking place in Thailand:

http://news.yahoo.com/junta-ruled-thail ... 29290.html

China also has been clamping down recently on media concerning the possibility of protest in relation to the upcoming Tiananmen Square Aniversary.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg ... tml#page=1

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Clemsy; this interesting article from " The Tennessean " here in Nashville just hit the wire and I'm wondering if you have any thoughts concerning this:

" Bad Teachers Are Not The Problem " - New Group Says:

There’s a new coalition of teachers in town, and they say they aren’t the problem.

“Not Bad Teachers,” a name that points the finger away from a profession under the microscope, wants more accountability over students — no more free passes, they demand — and a better understanding of the teaching profession by politicians and office administrators.

One of the group’s goals? Require elected officials to substitute teach.

Leading the organization is an outgoing math teacher at Metro Nashville’s Overton High School looking to add a new voice to those provided by the teachers’ union and other professional organizations.

“All the educational pundits say that our educational problems are due to all the bad teachers — teachers are lazy, they don’t want to work,” said Kurt Kosack, who has taught in Overton since 2009, and Stratford High School before then, but is stepping down to become a full-time teacher advocate and attorney. “That is just patently false.”

The group, which will formally introduce itself at the Metro school board meeting tonight, has outlined six tenets and hopes to get four of them enacted as law in Tennessee by 2020. The first of these isn’t the sort of lingo one usually hears inside the education world — a mandate that “no one will force” a teacher to pass a student who has not learned the material in that class.

Kosack, who acknowledged some of the goals are lofty, bills the organization as “more focused” than existing teacher organizations, one that won’t dive into teacher pay or other related matters. Instead, the group is asking for more out of students.

“We’re not challenging them,” said Kosack, who ran unsuccessfully for Williamson County school board two decades ago. “Most of the students know they’re going to pass with a minimal amount of effort. We believe the way we’re going to improve the school system is for students to try. We can have the greatest teachers in the world, but student effort is what’s going to change the culture.”

Currently composed of just 27 teachers, primarily employed at Metro Nashville Public Schools, the coalition hopes to reach 1,000 supporters within a year.

Reach Joey Garrison at 615-259-8236 and on Twitter @joeygarrison.

Six tenets of ‘Not Bad Teachers’

1. No one will force, either directly or indirectly, a teacher to pass a student who has not learned the material in that class.

2. Students who chronically disrupt class and/or refuse to follow school rules shall be quickly removed to alternative schools.

3. Every elected official (governor, state and federal representatives, judges, city council members, school board members, mayors, etc.) shall substitute teach at least three days per year. At least two of these days shall be in the lowest performing schools in her/his district.

4. Every school official who is in a position that once required him/her to be a teacher (superintendents, principals, trainers, etc.) shall teach at least one class every three years.

5. Every teacher, regardless of length of service or tenure status, who is involuntarily terminated/not rehired shall have the opportunity to be heard in a due process hearing.

6. Every student in Tennessee public schools is expected to give his/her best effort.
I thought the idea of " governing school officials " having to ( substitute teach ) was an excellent point! :idea:

Here also is an article about California's tenure for teachers that looks to me like an excuse to point the blame of poor education results towards the teachers making them the scapegoat:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Addendum: As I was finishing posting; this story just broke. And although unrelated I think in some ways the realizing of " how out of touch " the public and the system is " underscores " part of the issue at hand. A need for a much deeper engagement from all sides seems to me to be part of the dilemma. And even though I may not fully grasp the depth here; the teachers it seems to me could provide a key window for understanding this. :roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/reports-shots-fir ... 13532.html

Here are a couple more that just appeared that also relate to the above education " safety " mess; but here again IMHO the focus as I see it should be about the " kids " and ( being out of touch ) concerning their general welfare; not the politics!

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-calls-natio ... 03121.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 ... lp00000592

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Schools are not safe.

We do not crash airplanes the way we once did. Airplane safety is easier than school safety.

Perhaps there needs to be attention paid to safety before we can begin to address any other issue.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hey Carmela. The " Separation between Church and State " is another issue that education is having to deal with that IMHO has major future implications not only for schools but for government influence as well. This article is a cloaked example of inserting a conservative religious agenda within a seemingly harmless event; but the groups pushing behind it are nothing less than Supreme Court Justices Like Scalia and Thomas. Yesterday the Supreme Court grappled with two separate issues; ( one concerning guns and the other a school graduation ). Scalia issued a 7 page memo in disagreement on the Court's decision about the school case ( not to take it up ). Here is some background: :roll:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

( Make no mistake about what is going on here. ) The forces behind these ultra-conservative groups attempts to integrate religion into the sphere of public life are some of the same ones who are trying to change the textbooks that are used in teaching students to question the science of evolution and inject " Creative Design " into the curriculum. :idea:

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

FYI, Clemsy has been blogging again. The war going on in education right now is quite intense and I am not certain the good guys are going to win.

If you're interested, go HERE.

Let me know what you think!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas