Is Joyce worth reading?

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Raphael
Associate

Post by Raphael »

On 2005-04-06 13:54, CarmelaBear wrote:
Hi Robert,

One of the things I like best about the "Power of Myth", both before and after I read many of his other works, is the way he crystalized so many volumes of data and insight. He cuts right through to pithy ideas that stay with a person for a long time. In my case, I've internalized much of what he taught.

I'm Campbellized.
CBear I remember seeing/hearing of Campbell for the first time around 1985 watching the Power of Myth.
You see till that point in my life I had sat on the fence, listening to the rants and raves of the evolutionists vs. the creationists. Neither faith/belief had convinced me of their convictions. At that time I had not realized there existed a middle path of understanding through myth.
My main interest in watching Campbell I thought at that time, but now I know better, were my interests in the heroic Greek tales of childhood fantasy.
But as I watched Campbell weave myth with symbolism and religion two things very quickly awed me.
First it was his ability to communicate to the layman (me) a profound woven tapestry of belief and understanding.
And the 2nd observation leading to my JC Campbellization, was the passion with which he communicated those interpretations.

He was a perfect mentor for those sitting on the fence of disbelief.

Campbell helped me realize this fence I had been sitting on that we see dividing religion and science is not really a fence. It is actually a veil.
A veil put there by the domination of a patriarchal mindset. It is an illusion. The world is actually a stage and we do actually assume roles. These roles are often ‘given’ or assigned to us. And we no longer follow symbols (right brain), we now follow signs (left brain). And it is we the collective who are the stage hands, actors, audience, orchestra and lighting that together work in creating this illusion. It is presented to us as a sequence or pattern of Acts.
And hopefully soon the ‘Veil of Western Consciousness’ will be lifted to allow passage and blending with Eastern mysticism.

Maybe Joseph Campbell should be referred to as JC II (the 2nd). *
ShantiSong wrote:
I honestly love Ulysses. And I don’t like much fiction. In fact, I get angry at all the fuss about novels and how wonderful and important they are. How many stories do we need?
Shanti I find that encouraging, I too rarely read fiction even though some would argue comparative religion and myth is fiction.
I will give Ulysses a shot.

Namaste

Raphael

* p.s. actually I do not believe in worshipping graven images or belonging to a cult of belief. (Adhering to one belief is actually limiting oneself, isn’t it?).
I only suggest JC the 2nd because of how the man has influenced the flock.
He too was a stray lamb…he who veered from the flock himself, shunning the need to complete his PhD. Bucking the system, climbing outside of the box and still coming out and ending up on top.
Finding his Bliss.

ENERGY = GOD ... Share Him is the Message...<br>God can be neither created nor destroyed; he can only be transformed into other forms of God. However there is a penalty for committing sin, for transforming God and it is called Entropy.

Waka
Associate

Post by Waka »

For my research paper I am so happy that I get to do Portrait of an Artiist as a Young Man. And this is my first attempt in reading Joyce, but from what I have read here, there will be alot of things to write my paper on. I thought I woul bring this up so I could get everyones say in it.

Thanks
Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.- Buddha<br>Let yourself be free. :-)

NathanGear
Associate

Post by NathanGear »

I was in a doctor's office yesterday and there was a magazine with an article that talked about Joyce's grandson. He said that all his grandfathers works were meant to be read by the common man. Finnegans Wake, Ulysses... these were not supposed to be daunting overly-academic works that only an elite group of English majors could master. Even the more accessable work, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man; it's not supposed to be a huge deal that you've read it. He says its a great book, but just not the Herculean task people pretend it is.

He says that scholars have created a false view of these works, and that the majority of study on all of Joyce's books is pretty much hotair. That's part of the reason why he is so stern about not letting people quote from the books, becuase people write about them in an elitist way and completely miss the point of the books. And all these incorrect scholarly attitudes have kept people away from the books, from enjoying his grandfather's work.

I've never looked at Joyce's work; I just always assumed it would be over my head. But now that I read the article about his grandson, I'll give Portrait a shot. I suppose it can't be any weirder than Kerouac. And I certainly don't need a text book and a professor to help me read Jack's writings.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NathanGear on 2006-08-19 02:41 ]</font>

GrtBluHeron
Associate

Post by GrtBluHeron »

If you have not yet read Joyce or find his later writings more archaic or rough going at first...
Start with- Portrait of the young man of the artist.

cadfael
Associate

Post by cadfael »

The basis of all things seems to be financial in our human existence. The spiritual blossoms when a days work is done. The world of supply and demand. Mr.Joyce got a conversation started about a book he wrote. I must say that that was great advertisement. Hemingway said that his For Whom the Bell Tolls was selling like frozen daquiris in Hell.

Cadfael