Mythic art of today - recommendations

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

This is really worth a look:
http://www.ghostforest.com/

Enjoy!
:grin:

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

http://www.kissasylum.com/kisstory/elder.shtml

I had actually forgotten about this until I was reminded of it while watching a tv program. It's a pretty funny story... Rock band gets ridiculed by their fans for composing an album with a mythological premise. Lou Reed even helped them write a few songs.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy to give it a listen again. :grin:

AL

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Martin brought this subject to the table...here's some unbeievable work from Sept. 11:
http://www.sohoblues.com/

AL

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

From the above website:

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Here's a nice example of critic v artist... :grin:
http://www.artlies.org/Calaway.html

Darwin
Associate

Post by Darwin »

This is some fun stuff. Thanks for the thread. The newest CD that really sends chills up and down my mythological archetype is Eminem's "The Eminem Show." I'm certain many people who have heard about some of the language. The hypocrasy (and latent racism) of this is addressed in the CD's first track, "White America." The most mythologically intriguing track is called "Cleaning Out My Closet."

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Stone_Giant
Associate

Post by Stone_Giant »

I'd like to nominate the whole of Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra. http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/ ... nting.html That and stuff like Toussaint l'overture fron Santana 3 just transports me. Bam! - instant samadhi via the auditory nerve. As for dead guys, I like Wagner's Flying Dutchman - a mythical theme and stirring music, listening to the overture is like surfing a hellstorm.

Darwin
Associate

Post by Darwin »

How about if we define "modern" as art created AFTER Campbell died?

Ronja
Associate

Post by Ronja »

A lot of the heavy metal bands have mythical and/or archetypal references. (Especially those who were into Crowley, etc.)
But a genre that hasn't really been mentioned is rap. Saul Williams is primarily a poet, but recently he's been setting his thoughts to music. He is also featured in a movie called Slam.
Here's a little taste from his album Amethyst Rock Star,
Tao of Now

Children of the night, only some will star the sky, only believers in death will die, and fathers must feather the wings of women. For the unfeathered masses dangle ridiculous, carrying crosses to phallic filled tombs. The future sails silence through blood rivered wombs that ripple with riddles of cows and spoons and birth moons and earth's sun, centered at noon...and here I stand court jestering infinity, fetal fisted for revolution but open hands birth humility....

In the name of...those who burned those still aflame and the countless unnamed, we claim the present as a pre-sent as the hereafter, we are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun. We are not afraid of the darkness, we trust that the moon shall guide us. We are determining the future at this very moment. We now know that the heart is the philosopher's stone. Our music is our alchemy... If you must count to keep the beat then count....

Sorry, I got carried away. The imagery and the beat are quite powerful though. I hope you enjoy his work.

Darwin
Associate

Post by Darwin »

Actually, Ronja, I did mention hip hop when I threw Eminem into the mix. While he doesn't consciously adopt mythological imagery, his muse seems to throw it in subconsciously. The best example is in the song, "Cleaning Out My Closet," which is all about confronting the shadow archetype.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Alexa
Associate

Post by Alexa »

Hello all,

This is my first post. I didn't resist in adding my contribuition.
I'm studying utopias and many of the works that are published in science fiction and in fantasy are retellings of ancient myths. In poetry I want to add the poet Jorge Luis Borges, from Argentina.
In the music field I wish to contribute with Dream Theater.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »