Mythic art of today - recommendations

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Thanks, JR and all other associates who have posted their recommendations yet! This is a thread, maybe, about the rim of mythology (in the academic sense of that word), but, what is more important, your mythic experiences, that you have posted here, came from out of the center of the wheel! I am always surprised and fascinated by the character of the main influences in life and myth and art, that made people what they are!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

Ronin81
Associate

Post by Ronin81 »

Taking my stab at this, I think some modern artists or movies/etc. that take a decent stab at this are,

TOOL - even if you don't like their music, they were very heavily influenced by Jungian psychology

"Vanilla Sky" - if you've seen the movie (escpially the last five minutes of it), then you'd recognize that this has lots to do with what we're talking about. By the way, the music playing at the very end (on the rooftop), is by a band called Sigur Ros, who doesn't actually use lyrics, but rather just sings in what sounds like lyrics in order to create textures that make the mood more transcendent...think it works? Well watch the movie then.

The art works of Mondrian, Duchamp, and Jacek Yorka come to mind, although I havent been able to pinpoint their relevance, I just feel like something is there.

Have fun searching! Take care

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I thought I'd pass this along, my friend is the lead guitar player for Matchbox Twenty .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2002-12-12 23:06 ]</font>

JR
Associate

Post by JR »

for ...
JR

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

a shameless plug? plus I think that they are coming into their own in a sense...they've lived the rock & roll dream. My buddy was recruited as a 19 yr. old music school prodigy into the band. He's been strummin' the blues since he was a young kid, and "followed his bliss" into his current gig.

Here's a few photos from my personal collection that I've taken... Image Image Image Image

Those aren't MB20 images BTW...they are from a band that he formed with some high school friends. It's a great example of success found in doing what you love to do!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2002-12-12 22:57 ]</font>

JR
Associate

Post by JR »

No I meant "for who". You didn't post a link, and BTW - the pictures are missing too.
JR

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I get the link and the pictures showing up on my screen...maybe it just takes time to load? :???:

Matchbox Twenty

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2002-12-12 22:17 ]</font>

JR
Associate

Post by JR »

Its not a download time thing:
I thought I'd pass this along, my friend is the lead guitar player for {!--REF="http://launch.yahoo.com/destinations/pr ... boxtwenty/" TARGET="_blank" Matchbox Twenty --}
As for the pictures, they're in your <i>personal</i> photo album. We cant access them but you can (probably because they're cached on your system).
JR

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Thanx JR! Is it fixed? :???:

JR
Associate

Post by JR »

yup
JR

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

A few new pages that I've put together.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2002-12-18 22:29 ]</font>

Bbar
Associate

Post by Bbar »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bbar on 2003-01-01 02:33 ]</font>

C T
Associate

Post by C T »

Greetings!
Quite an amazing share of ideas!

I really could not resist to mention some not-so-well-known (at least to some) but really interesting and inspiring work from (again) some Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal bands.
Here it goes:

- Manowar, album "The Triumph of Steel", theme "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight parts";

- Helloween (from Germany), albums "Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. I & II";

- also from Germany, Tobias Sammet's "Avantasia - The Metal Opera";

- Dream Theater, album "Awake", theme "Voices";

- Dream Theater, album "Falling into Infinity", theme "Lines in the Sand" (really amazing and inspiring!!!)

- Transatlantic, album and theme "Bridge Across Forever" (quite simple, and something you can show to your grandma, but not from this world...it belongs to a better one).

Sorry I didn't write the lyrics, but they're for you to discover (don't be lazy!)

Enjoy!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Here's a band that I just discovered, along the lines of those you mentioned C T
Nile