Mythic art of today - recommendations

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JR
Associate

Post by JR »

Has anybody seen the film "Waking Life"? Its a film that explores the intracasies of dreaming and the philosophical implications of a waking dream (a phenominon I actually experienced myself. and led me to this movie). Its artisically important aswell becasue though it is a live action film, the insinuation of the dream state is represented by an animated overlay, basically they illustrated every live action frame. Its a very interesting movie overall.
JR

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Yep, I've seen it! I thought it was excellent!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I thought this was cool.
http://www.annoyances.com/wombat.html
This guy does this for his music magazine; he asks musicians to sketch a wombat & collects them. Trivial, perhaps...but still interesting.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I just ran across this old school horror flick host Sammy Terry :lol: ...that guy used to scare me silly when I was a kid!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Another modern artist that swept into my desktop ... http://sigur-ros.com/home/

I highly recommend checking out their untitled #1 video ..its anti-war theme is powerful!

Mike Jaszewski
Associate

Post by Mike Jaszewski »

I'm not sure this is a "contemporary" work, but Tolkien's books (The Lord of the Rings, et al) were extremely mythological. "The Hobbit" does the hero's journey perfectly, and all the characters of the Lord of the Rings trilogy can be identified with Jungian archetypes. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe there was a book written called "The Individuated Hobbit" which analyzes Tolien's work in terms of Jungian psychology.
Mike

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Welcome to the JCF forums Mike!

There's a discussion in The Wisdom Pool regarding Tolkien and Campbell.

AL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2003-02-12 22:18 ]</font>

Stone_Giant
Associate

Post by Stone_Giant »

Hi all, just seen a two part telivision play here in the UK called 'The Second Coming' featuring british actor Christopher Eccleston in the title role. Brilliant and disturbing with a wholly satisfying end.. in Campbell's terms anyway. I don't know when it will be shown in in the US but I would dearly like to hear the views of all in this forum. Here a link, I will post viewing times for the US if they ever appear.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/enter ... 50056.html

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Thanks Stone Giant!

This is a nice site: http://cherokeeimages.com/

Lovedye
Associate

Post by Lovedye »

This is all very interesting to me - the myths in the music that you love. But what about the role of the musician in today's society? What archetypes and myths do you feel that musicians and music itself are fulfilling today?

Cj

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

That's an interesting question, Cj. I'd like to say, that they are fulfilling the same functions as they always did: The four functions of mythology! And in doing that, they can represent every archetype that seems to be proper for their admission. The most important function is a fundamental function, that can be combined with all four specific functions of mythology: to create sacred space and, by doing that, to transform our consciousness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2003-03-05 19:02 ]</font>

crown
Associate

Post by crown »

Re:Mythic art of today.

Stanislav Szukalski

Romulus

Ancestral Helmet

Rooster of Gaul

http://www.szukalski.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crown on 2003-07-14 11:19 ]</font>

Ghostalker
Associate

Post by Ghostalker »

"Ashes of American Flags" by Wilco (from their 2001 album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot")

The cash machine is blue and green
For a bundle of twenties and a small service fee
I could spend three dollars and sixty-three cents
On Diet Coca-Cola and unlit cigarettes

I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck
How hot and sorrowful, the machine begs for luck

All my lies are always wishes
I know I would die if I could come back new

We want a good life with a nose for things
the fresh wind and bright sky to endure my suffering
I'm a hole without a key if I break my tongue
Oh, speaking of tomorrow, how will it ever come?

All my lies are always wishes

I'm down on my hands and knees
every time I hear a doorbell ring
I shake like a toothache
every time I hear myself sing

All my lies are only wishes

I would like to salute
the ashes of American flags
And all the fallen leaves
filling up shopping bags

-- Jiddu Krishnamurti

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghostalker on 2003-07-16 15:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghostalker on 2003-07-16 16:24 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ghostalker on 2003-07-16 16:35 ]</font>

Ghostalker
Associate

Post by Ghostalker »

On 2003-01-30 01:43, JR wrote:
Has anybody seen the film "Waking Life"? Its a film that explores the intracasies of dreaming and the philosophical implications of a waking dream (a phenominon I actually experienced myself. and led me to this movie). Its artisically important aswell becasue though it is a live action film, the insinuation of the dream state is represented by an animated overlay, basically they illustrated every live action frame. Its a very interesting movie overall.

I loved that film. The animation technique is called "rotoscoping." The software was invented specifically for that film, and since its release you may have noticed it in some TV commercials.

"Truth is a pathless land, and it must come to one when there is total freedom from conditioning." <br><br>-- Jiddu Krishnamurti

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I highly recommend the new Sting album, Sacred Love , and the interview with him in the new magazine Tracks.

The article is available here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ALOberhoulser on 2004-01-02 00:05 ]</font>