Music Corner

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

zoe
Associate

Post by zoe »

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Zoe, Ron, and fellow associates; as many of you may know there are some very frustrating technical problems the site is experiencing at the moment and Clemsy has stated the staff is aware and doing the best they can to deal with them. With that said I don't know if this will post but here goes.

Ron it is always fascinating to me to see the way a fellow artist takes a particular piece and makes it their own. Those 2 songs are a beautiful example.

Zoe; I was only able to see your post attempt in the topic review below the compose window so it is difficult to know who is seeing what right now. I myself had this same experience in another thread; but until the glitches within the site get fixed I guess we will have to just limp along.

The song link to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's: " Ohio " you left was a song came to mind over the last few weeks in seeing much of the violence taking place across the country and the national guard even being called out in one instance. While much of this was going on I saw several a documentaries on PBS about the Viet-Nam War, Watergate, Kent State, and several other events covered during much of the turmoil that took place during the 1960's & 70's. It would be very difficult I think to describe to anyone these days what the effect and mindset of the country experienced during that period since things are so very different now; but for those of us that remember that song was a powerful " trigger " that brought many of those memories back. Yes; May 4th, 1970 the country experienced a wakeup call.
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Zoe, Ron, and fellow associates; as many of you may know there are some very frustrating technical problems the site is experiencing at the moment and Clemsy has stated the staff is aware and doing the best they can to deal with them. With that said I don't know if this will post but here goes.

Ron it is always fascinating to me to see the way a fellow artist takes a particular piece and makes it their own. Those 2 songs are a beautiful example.

Zoe; I was only able to see your post attempt in the topic review below the compose window so it is difficult to know who is seeing what right now. I myself had this same experience in another thread; but until the glitches within the site get fixed I guess we will have to just limp along.

The song link to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's: " Ohio " you left was a song came to mind over the last few weeks in seeing much of the violence taking place across the country and the national guard even being called out in one instance. While much of this was going on I saw several a documentaries on PBS about the Viet-Nam War, Watergate, Kent State, and several other events covered during much of the turmoil that took place during the 1960's & 70's. It would be very difficult I think to describe to anyone these days what the effect and mindset of the country experienced during that period since things are so very different now; but for those of us that remember that song was a powerful " trigger " that brought many of those memories back.

Yes; May 4th, 1970 the country experienced a wakeup call.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

[i]Zoe, Ron, and fellow associates; as many of you may know there are some very frustrating technical problems the site is experiencing at the moment and Clemsy has stated the staff is aware and doing the best they can to deal with them. With that said I don't know if this will post but here goes.[/i]

The song link to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's: " Ohio " you left was a song came to mind over the last few weeks in seeing much of the violence taking place across the country and the national guard even being called out in one instance. While much of this was going on I saw several a documentaries on PBS about the Viet-Nam War, Watergate, Kent State, and several other events covered during much of the turmoil that took place during the 1960's & 70's. It would be very difficult I think to describe to anyone these days what the effect and mindset of the country experienced during that period since things are so very different now; but for those of us that remember that song was a powerful " trigger " that brought many of those memories back.

[i]Yes; May 4th, 1970 the country experienced a wakeup call.[/i]

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Zoe:

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Roncooper wrote:I thought I would post another original and cover.

The original is by the incredible Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThnUmWRCCs

The cover is by Linda Ronstadt, who not only had a great talent, she was also a muse. Just listen to the alto sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmu-UUl_dLE

The link to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's: " Ohio " you left was a song that came to mind over the last few weeks in seeing much of the violence taking place across the country and the national guard even being called out in one instance. While much of this was going on I saw several a documentaries on PBS about the Viet-Nam War, Watergate, Kent State, and several other events covered during much of the turmoil that took place during the 1960's & 70's. It would be very difficult I think to describe to anyone these days what the effect and mindset of the country experienced during that period since things are so very different now; but for those of us that remember that song was a powerful " trigger " that brought many of those memories back.

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

On the mythology and religion thread we were discussing Joni Mitchell and so I thought I would post two of my favorite songs.

The first is from the album "Blue" and it is called "California."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm39YkGrHp8

The next one is called "The Judgment of the Moon and Stars" and it is dedicated to Beethoven. A tribute from one artist to another from the artist's perspective.

To make sense of it one needs to remember that Beethoven began to lose his hearing in 1800, by the time he wrote the famous fifth symphony he was legally deaf, and he was stone deaf the last 10 years of his life.

Here is the second song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAAqsUgATBI

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

"Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory" is a moving and powerful documentary about how a little ipod and some music can help bring joy, meaning, and interaction back into the lives of Alzheimer's patients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diRUFHsnt8A

(This won the 2014 Sundance Film Festival: "U.S. Documentary Award").

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I mentioned this film in another thread, but it really belongs here. I just saw a movie about a classical pianist and teacher that I feel goes to the heart of art. The movie is about Seymour Bernstein and it is called "Seymour an introduction." I saw it on Netflix and I understand it is also on Amazon.

If you are artistic or love art this movie is well worth watching. It is about the beauty and craft of art, and it is wonderful.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. -Isaac Newton

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

(I just happen to catch this trailer on J.J. Cale's Facebook page concerning a soon to be released Eric Clapton collaboration. A very moving and powerful piece.)

An important project of note for our Eric Clapton fans here. Eric has
composed an original musical score which is featured in a new documentary by filmmaker Philippe Mora called Three Days In Auschwitz. The film follows Mora's personal journey to explore the death camp and its lasting impact. Speaking of Eric's score "...which combined the tragedy of the events with a celebration of life" Mora acclaims, "I was simply blown away ... He created music with great dignity and emotional power. In my opinion, this is one for the ages." Eric and Mora have collaborated together for close to 50 years, and, as well as composing and performing the score, Eric also co-produced the film with Mora. It will be released on DVD in the UK on May 16th via Screenbound Pictures.The DVD can be pre-ordered via Amazon UK https://goo.gl/bXc2bi but for those outside the UK there is a trailer that can be previewed here.

The trailer for THREE DAYS IN AUSCHWITZ, the documentary by Philippe Mora with original music composed and performed by
Eric Clapton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_7ZCx-yVo

(On a side note I think one cannot fail to see how this subject strikes a very deep emotional reference to what is now happening within the refugee crisis currently unfolding in the middle east and across Europe. "All people of all races matter". If Joseph's work had a resounding message concerning this topic it would be that of our common global and interconnected humanity.)