Catalog of the best metaphors and similes

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Catalog of the best metaphors and similes

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I was watching SNL and saw, what seemed like, a friendly comedic competition between two of the cast members acting like sports commentators. I think two ESPN anchors partly inspired the SNL skit.

The purpose of this thread is to recognize some of the best, funniest, silliest, or even awful uses of similes and metaphors. Please try to reference them when you can, unless heard while eavesdropping :lol: , and let us know what made it so poignant. What the casual visitor to this sight might gain from this thread is our collective appreciation for language, and an insight into our sense of humor.

Saturday Night Live episode on Hulu

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

The Mona Lisa of fossils ...

This might be like shooting fish in a barrel - there's great language everywhere!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Human Resources

I put the link here, rather than the technology & nature thread, because one of the great things about the movie is in the explanation of metaphors in social sciences' experimentation, example - rat in the maze as metaphor for humans going through life.

I don't want to get too long winded about this one - it's a two hour movie and not everyone has the time to check it out. I just didn't realize the significance of metaphors in experimentation until seeing this explanation of the metaphors and their significance. That part only takes up about the first 20 minutes of the film.