Feel free to chime in - it's another sci-fi collaboration

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Feel free to chime in - it's another sci-fi collaboration

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Many of you were not around for the last installment of the JCF collective genius at work...

I saw an article just now that made me think to myself, "SCI_FI COLLABORATION!! And, yes, it was that loud & bold with exactly that number of exclamation points :lol:

Anyway, the article - Japan Unleashing Packs of Wild Monkeys to Test Fukushima Radiation

Now, cue Clemsy for rules & guidelines (basically you can insert or assume characters, but try to stay away from dictating the dialogue or actions of other member's characters - use PM's & get creative for such exchanges) Clemsy, I hope, might help me out here with some of this.

Let's see if it'll fly...

DATELINE - December 12

Our top story tonight comes from Fukushima University, where a band of monkeys are caught in the middle of a Battle Royale, of sorts, between University officials and a group of PETA supporting Aikido students. A Shinto shrine, outside the radiation zone, but near the University facilities housing the monkeys, is where the students are gathering a great amount of support. These "monks for the monkeys" say they will stop at nothing to keep the University officials from sending the monkeys into the area where officials have no idea how high the levels of radiation may be.

More on this story, after a word form our sponsor, Rakuten Global Market

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Last night, in a dream, the flying spaghetti monster was chasing the monkeys as they rode off into the sunset on the backs of different breeds of goats.

It was quite a sight, but when I awoke to the chants of "chimps aren't Geiger counters" - I knew it was just a dream, and was left only with the fleeting image of the parade of chimps on goat-back.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

"I love the smell of Sasquatch in the morning"
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

OK we're back from comercial-break:

Kilgore Trout barely awake from his dream climbed down from his bunk in his spacecraft thinking about his past adventures from the " Edge of the Galaxies " to meet with the giant cockroach called God and his answer to the question about the meaning of life - are we born to just suffer and die? Is life all a dream of dreams? And now this new dream about monkeys, goats, and Flying Spaghetti Monsters ? What does it all mean?

( Plagerized; Stolen; and Manipulated from " Venus On The Half-Shell " ) :shock: :o :? :lol:
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Things are really busy today around the Shinto shrine. There is an honored guest recently back from space. Kilgore Trout is a long-time supporter of monkeys' rights, and the Aikido students are attempting to organize using new telepathy devices. The devices were originally a top-secret North Korean military experiment, but the technology was smuggled out of the military industrial complex under a tie-died bucket hat by one of the students. Now, they have managed to clone the devices, and dubbed them the "hippy hive mind hat"

The "monks for the monkeys" have been chanting a new mantra all morning and the energy is just buzzing as the time seems to be drawing near to spring the monkeys from their cages.

Benyboy
Associate

It's me...And I think I will Chime in

Post by Benyboy »

The only thing I know for sure is that all of this is possible . If and when Kilgore pops into your head go with it.
BenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISS

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_Trout
http://www.vonnegutweb.com/vonnegutia/trout ( For those interested. )

Kilgore: ( Whose real name was [i]Simon Wagstaff [/i]and traveling undercover ); was older now. Time travel has a tendency to age you a little if you have been doing this for long; especially to the ends of the universe and even though you have drunk the elixer of eternal life you still feel older inside.

An important and urgent message had come to him from a friend of long ago asking for his help. HanSoKenobeWan; ( HaSo for short); from his days fighting in the comedic Clononal Drone Wars after the time of Identity Theft and the terrible disease of Memory Loss. ( Not being able to remember who you were and what you were laughing about. )

He had recently encountered his old nemesis Yahway; his sinister evil twin brother Noway; and their cousins: Saywhat and Uh-uh: ( The Terrible My- Way Family ). They had developed a new mindmeld technique that had been stolen from a long forgotten and extinct tribe called the StarTrekians that rendered any species with Blankfeedback Disease.( A condition of Suspended-Repetition. ) They had heard of the new experiments at the University on the Virtual Earth World near the Sacred Shinto Shrine and had wanted to create a new species that would render any being completely under the control of The Corporate Medieval-Surf Panel of Consumer Affairs; ( a new inter-galaxtic counsel recently formed by the old arch-enemy; The Fund Raisers - and The Dark Emperor - Grova NoTaxcium Absolutus ).

This new Earth had been recreated after the Great Earth Vomit and Climate Restart of the Milleniums during the period of Kilgore's - Great Quest. He had wanted to stop off on his way at the planet Tat Tvam Asi at the University Whatsamattayou; to see his wise old mentor YodaYwehu; ( Yo You ) for short; but there was not time because of mixing warp speed with the black hole he had to go through for a short cut to get to the Virtual World. He was groggy from the trip and as he made his way to find his old friend HaSo he heard commotion in the distance.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Who are you? A voice exclaimed. You are not Kilgore Trout. It was one of the monks. I know; he couldn't come and I was the only one available. He tried Burroughs friends; John Carter and Carson Napier but they were busy also. He even tried Kennedy to see if he could get Ignacious J. Reilly but not happening. Who is he and what is your name? The monk asked. Simon Wagstaff is my name; he said. I sometimes stand in for Kilgore. I'm a friend of Phillip Jose Farmer although Vonnegut doesn't really prefer to use me. And Vonnegut is my contact for Trout? Yes and at any rate I was the only one available. Well. Said the monk; I'll guess you'll have to do.

What is all this about monkeys; goats, and flying spagetti monsters? Simon said.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

(Al's "monks for the monkeys"-- :lol: )
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

We must go now. Said the Monk. We have to get back to the Ranch; I mean Shrine. My name is BeHereNow : ( BeHE ) for short ); and I was sent to bring you to the Master YamHoRayK; ( YaHo for short ) . We have to get the goats ready; they are releasing the monkeys in a few days and we have to get organized. There are other people arriving and we have to preform the sacred ritual called " The MEETING".

Simon asked. What is a giant Spaghetti Monster ? Behe turned with a look of terror and said. It is the Ancient Beast called: " The Figment "; so terrible in its' power that people become moronic under it's spell and do stupid things so unbelievable that they become Embecilick? No one knows the cure to this condition. Some think that the ancient Rite of CONVERSION is the only way but this doesn't always work and they become lost to the spell ONLY I KNOW and can never be brought back.

Has anyone heard from HaSo ? Simon says. Monk MotherMayI said he called and is held up on one of your old planets; something about herding Cats. Said BeHe. Simon shook his head and muttered: Good Luck With That. Is there more I should know? Oh YEAA ! Said BeHe. YaHo will explain. We must hurry they are waiting.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

( Meanwhile back at the Ranch; I mean Shrine );

There were voices talking as they approached and the monks were standing around a funny looking device. It looks like one of those artifacts that came from the ancient forbidden land of Walmart. No one I know has ever been there but they say once you go you can never return. One said. Another replied; I saw a picture of it once and it read ; Land of the blue-light special sale; shoppers nirvanna. Sounds horrible. Said even another. I heard it comes from the American Dream Machine Factory.

That's Enough Everyone ! Said the Old Man. YaHo is coming and and has news.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

" The Figment "; so terrible in its' power that people become moronic under it's spell and do stupid things so unbelievable that they become Embecilick? No one knows the cure to this condition. Some think that the ancient Rite of CONVERSION is the only way but this doesn't always work and they become lost to the spell ONLY I KNOW and can never be brought back.
Hey, don't you guys know there's a whole EPCOT attraction based on "Figment" the dragon. Don't you know that with the power of "imagination" you can be or do anything? :shock:

Caveat: That is be or do anything that "they" have pre-programmed you to conceive of in the first place. :lol:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

As YaHo approached he was carrying several bags and a small device in his other hand. I've been expecting you Simon. He said. Kilgore called and said he was held up with Kurt; something about movie house accommodations and an interview. That's all he would say. The My-Way spies are everywhere so we knew they would be looking for him not you.

What in the world is that ? He said pointing at the rather large package. Simon's eyes almost poped out of his head. Oh my Friggin God! Do you know what that is ? It's a ( Do-It-Yourself ) Ronco Verision of " Mister Peabody's Way Back Machine "; complete with instruction's in Japanese; not Chinese; and with Solar-Rechargeable Batteries included. Reeally! They all said. That's not all; look inside there is a manuscript of " Firesign Theater's " famous Dwarf-Electrician monologues. And look; there is a map to the secret Chambers of the Emperor's Counsel where the " Coporate Panel of Consumer Affairs " meets for stratagy sessions. And here is a note that says: ?...

He closed the note and handed it to YaHo who said. I'll read this later but meanwhile there is much to discuss. The Timetable has been moved back a couple of days because the My-Way's are still working on the StarTrekian Mindmeld. That gives us time for the rest of our forces to get here and to organize. YaHo held up the bags and distributed them around the group. These are the Top-Secret Telepathy Devices of the " Hippy Hive Mind Hat " and under no circumstance is anyone open or use them. These packages are sealed and we are waiting for further instructions.

What is the latest information on the Goat population interface? One of the Monks stepped forward and said we are still waiting on the genetic code breakdown to download into the DataBase. There are so many breeds the telepathy commands will overload the DiLithium Crystal Core and it cannot take the strain. We are waiting on the Aikto Students from the University branch of " WhatsamattaU. " to finish the Download to the students here. They tell us there is a Cosmic-Storm Static Event preventing further transmition so we are " Waiting Here In Limbo ". ( A song slightly familiar is playing in the background. )

Simon steps forward and says: " My old friend and Mentor Yo You lives there teaching the ancient Art of " WuFunkScwei " or The Way Of The" Get-Down " Force. I can use my ship to go get the Download and drop by and visit my old friend to see if he has anything to contribute.

Excellent Simon. Said YaHo; But see me before you go. I have another matter to discuss with you. Has anyone else have anything to add ? A funny ringing noise just sounded coming from YaHo's other hand.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

BeHe looked up and saw someone in the distance waving urgently at her. It was MotherMayI. She quietly slipped away to see what the issue was. I have an urgent message for YaHo handing her a small Chip. The Tokyo Electric Power Company has just received a special Hi-Tech Detector device and you must give this to YaHo immediately. It has special features and the fate of our mission depends on it.

BeHe made her way back and subtlely slipped the small chip into YaHo's pocket while he was talking and melted back into the crowd. The raise of his eyebrow acknowledged the transfer. His conversation ended and he looked at the group.