Feel free to chime in - it's another sci-fi collaboration

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

She walked slowly across the ceiling of the craft as it silently skimmed the deep, dark open places beyond her home planet. Her feet were starting to feel again after that hour in the magnobath (electrocom was too hot), and she enjoyed the spongy softness of the super-gravity surface on the ceiling of her private living quarters.

"I'll have to get back to duty on the engineering staff, but there's time to relax now."

She headed straight for her sandbox. That's what she called her electronic diary. She liked to commune with the computer gods. "Diary" was the name of her favorite god, and she addressed him simply:

"Dear Diary,

We had a fight. I know it happens, but you don't understand. This one was different. If women pretend to enjoy every inch of a man's body, men pretend to enjoy talking about feelings and actually relating to people. I can't help it. I felt like going back to being just friends."

She was writing about her lover as he was checking out the sweet young thing he found on the second level.

She could feel her feet and she could feel her heart.

The feet were fine, the heart was sore, and the gods of the computer were not helping.

~

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

...and all communications went down. The poles had shifted, on the sun; and, now the grid was useless. You could stare at the old cross-stitched flowers on the wall, or go hunting.

The best fishing, hunting, and possibly, some ice - are far to the North. Will the tribes re-emerge - Will the ship be found?
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Endless nights, walking through the dark desolate wasteland. But at the horizon I could smell the chill of ice. There, where the ship crashed. Supplies run low and nothing to hunt yet.

It is getting late, the sun will be revealed soon, need to find shelter.

People used to pray and dance beneath the light of the sun but now we seek the darkness so we can hide from the harmful rays of the sun. Ironic! Humans need the warmth and light of the sun but we cannot bear it anymore. In our memories there is only the feeling of the sun no image of it.

My grandfather used to tell me how the sun used to dawn, swallowed by the earth. Strange colors lit the sky pouring into the clouds fading under the rise of moon. I never understood what he meant, how was that possible. Now the sun disappears by a cloud of darkness. Makes sense.

Aha! that will do fine. This little cave of dirt and rock will do the trick. I'll settle here.

According to my calculations I must be half way through. Supposedly the ship holds all the information of the location of the rest population. After the war, people formed small tribes and scattered around the globe. The war changed everything but war, war never changes. It doesn't matter now. I must find them and re-establish contact.

The thought to go back crossed my mind, what if I fail to find the ship or more supplies. I would die there, alone and nobody would know. So what if I went back. Nobody was waiting. To hell with it. There was no going back now, I had to break through, find the ship... the only hope.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

I can sense the vibes of gravity shoes on the ship metal. He's headed this way.

He edged into the room, staring down to a place beneath the com, hesitating.

"D...di...did you search again? They're out there somewhere. Try again. Keep trying", he repeated.

He twitched. We all know that wrinkle on his forehead. It's a tell. He's afraid, terrified for their safety. It's been so long.

"I've scanned."

There is no sign of them. We can only hope they survived. The darkness is heavy, and the waiting is long. All we can do is hope.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

The rustle of the tall grass and the moaning in the distance bore witness to the stirring of the living that survived the crash.

" You Ok? "; A voice whispered heard barely above the breeze sweeping across the field. I..I. I'm not sure. Where are the others?

" Ohhhhh! Where are we? " Came another from the grass.

" Good question. "Yet still another..

" Where the Hell is the ship? " Came the fifth.

A scream came from the distance of the sixth: " Help!

One by one they began to resurrect and collect themselves as they moved toward the cry.

Through the darkness in the distance a huge mangled form outlined on the horizon; barely visible; the smell of the melted metal from the ship filled the air.

" I can't move ; Owww! " came the noise from inside the wreckage.

" Hey; Where are you? " said one of the members as they approached.

" Captain's deck; and I heard others below on the second level. "

" Check the bottom supply hatch to see if you can get in that way; I think you may be able to access them from there. "

" Ok; stay put we're coming. "
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

"The wound is not bad. A few stitches. We'll need a splint. Hold still."

"Owww!"

"Stop!"

We froze. Silence, and then a faint scratching and tapping.

"Down there. Did you hear that?"

"The scanner is picking up signals. They're here."

"I'll go find an opening for them...maybe the supply hatch."

~

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Garzo' s wings and very small frame often prove to be useful. He turns to Zhuel and nods. Their eyes assent to an implicit plan.

Wings outstretched, Garzo rises slowly and edges toward the hatch. He approaches with caution.

~

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

The treatment for the sickness and tumors was a high commodity - until the protocol was breached. The wind, waves & sun made excellent energy - and the information was tribal. What would happen to the hivemind?Image
the amulet had powers...
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

The amulet has been hidden for hundreds of years....

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Woebegone Kemosobe' slowly emerged from the hatch-space down below; his long white-hair and beard matted from the leaves and grasses outside from where he and the others had groped their way to the ship.

As he struggled through the hatch-opening he spied the amulet that lay on the ship's navigation console and exclaimed: " Now that is something I have not seen in a very long time; a " Nature Chi-Force Mystery Symbol ". It was always handed down from the " Ancient Ones " after the " The Road Of Trials " had been passed. Only the wise, brave, and truly compassionate are given the knowledge of how to unlock it's healing powers; but it can also channel very dark and destructive forces if obtained by the power-hungry and greedy ones.

Where on earth; ( excuse me ); where in the galaxy did you find it? "

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

"We didn't find it."

"It came in on the Santa Maria, the ghost ship...."

"It discovered us."

"Awesome."

~

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Garzo chimed in: " Zhuel and I saw the ship land and went to investigate. " " As we approached a light glowed from a small window in the captains cabin ". Zhuel remained motionless.

" As we went aboard and entered the cabin the amulet hung suspended in mid-air; only Zuel my mute friend; was able to grasp it and bring it here ".

Zuel spoke with tears in his eyes; " I can now speak because of it's healing powers. " ( As they talked the amulet began to glow. )

Just then Jane emerged from below and noticed the quiet in the room surrounding the light. " I lost my picture of ( Tarz ); has anyone seen it? "

" I have it. " Said Wobegone; " You left it on the ship just before we crashed. " As she reached to retrieve it a soft emotional voice replied: " Thank you; it means a great deal to me. " " I know. " Wobegone replied tenderly.

The amulet grew brighter still.

" What happened to this ghost ship? " Asked Jane. " I heard you discussing it as I came in. "

Visibly shaken Garzo spoke: " It vanished as mysteriously as it appeared. "

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Garzo let his gossamer wings unfurl silently and he hovered toward the shimmering amulet. The mystery of its powers has grown with each retelling of the ancient legend. The ghost ship brought it here and it has taken on a life of its own, untethered and mesmerizing.

Zhuel felt calm as he gazed at the object that held them in rapt attention.

"Okay", whispered Jane, "Who's missing?"

~

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Q

Post by ALOberhoulser »

$#&$^&%$&^%^$%^$^&%

my wife is gone

$#&$^&%$&^%^$%^$^&%
^#^#%%$##@#^%%^&$^*((%#$$E&^*&*(((*^&W@#$
~Max Planck

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

:cry:
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.