A community of worldbuilders to develop new-world mythology.

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

WreelLife
Associate

A community of worldbuilders to develop new-world mythology.

Post by WreelLife »

I'm developing a collaborative worldbuild called WreelLife which will curate the histories and cultures of three intelligent alien species. We're utilizing a wiki and social media to organize the worldbuild.

Anyone in the JCF community interested in being an early contributor to the project? Ask me anything, I have a lot to say. :D

Thanks,

WreelLife

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Why? This project, I mean.

Cindy :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

which will curate the histories and cultures of three intelligent alien species.
I do have to ask...which three alien species? :shock:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

WreelLife
Associate

Post by WreelLife »

Cindy B. wrote:Why? This project, I mean.

Cindy :)
Personally: I have a hard time finalizing my writing. Everything can evolve, so who am I to put a halt to the evolution. I began the WreelLife milieu in one Moleskin, soon it was ten. I continued the worldbuilding within Evernote but was unable to network the notes together in a way that was easy to “see” the big-picture.

The only way I could envision this world would be to see it as I see our own: on a wiki. Wikipedia (despite its faults) has changed the way we earthlings learn about our planet, so I thought it only a natural progression to use the framework to create a new planet from scratch.

As it pertains to JCF: My aim is that the four cultures (including a futuristic human race) share a similar inner universe; a similar philosophy. I want to show Mr. Campbell's work in a practical way. Each species will have different symbols to explain similar ideas; their unique environments will determine what they believe and how they worship but the ideas will be comparable. The connection to our own cultures here on earth will also be apparent.

I would like as many minds as possible to develop these alien mythologies.

As it pertains to the world: A new collective mythology is needed to reunite our global community with the necessary symbols. I want WreelLife to provide these symbols for a new generation (however niche it may be). As Star Wars gave birth to the Jedi religion, so too can WreelLife provide much needed symbology to our disparate "culture".

The story of Wreel will be told in many ways. One way will be social games, another will be an RPG. Each of these types will be both passively and patently educational (serious games). WreelLife (a social enterprise) will attempt to put art and science on a pedestal and facilitate (through our network of games) donations to non-profits that we believe can help change the world in one way or another.

A significant percentage of profits from our games and media will be awarded in the form of grants to organizations like SETI, Wikimedia Foundation and JCF.org

#superambitious

WreelLife
Associate

Post by WreelLife »

Neoplato wrote:
which will curate the histories and cultures of three intelligent alien species.
I do have to ask...which three alien species? :shock:
The Silica are the most alien of the three intelligent species on Wreel. They evolved in a hostile lake of sulphuric acid. This unique habitat spawned life from silicon instead of the more familiar carbon-based lifeforms on Earth - and the light-side of Wreel.

A desert race known as the Kȏr have the most familiar mythos of the three. Over millenia they have migrated from their natural habitat across the ceramic desert to a location now deemed holy by the clergy. Most have gone from polytheistic to monotheistic belief system. The monotheistic system has been since corrupted by the clergy and a sect of migrant humans that regard the Kȏr herd as a commodity and their land as a resource.

The Hi'la, a troll-like race, occupy what the humans call the meridian, a halo of land bridging the desert face of Wreel and the cryosphere - home of the Silica. The toxic jungle of fungus is also regarded as a resource by the humans. The protein extracted from the flora and fauna is vital for the human's advanced way of life.

The Hi'la, upon first arrival of the humans, were selectively bred to increase their worth to the human society. Their race has been bred like dogs into three classifications: one intelligent and dexterous, one slow and super-toxic and another bred for strength and blind obedience.

There, of course, is much more to convey. Check out a gallery here. The first three images are concept art. The next three (comic inked) are closer to what a WreelLife avatar will look like when it is completed.

EDIT:

For more context on their habitats: Planet Wreel is a massive exoplanet on the edge of the "goldilocks" zone of a distant solar system. As a result of Wreel being locked in a heliosynchronous orbit around its red sun, Wreel's unique geology is divided into distinct zones. Each zone serves as home to intelligent life. These species only integrated after the immigration of the human race and their advanced tech.