The Myth of Us : A mixed media exhibit

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Qhronos
Associate

The Myth of Us : A mixed media exhibit

Post by Qhronos »

Greetings all,

I am new member, first time poster, but long time lover myth and its importance. I was chosen recently participate in an honors program in school centered around social justice. Members were asked to submit a proposal for their project, and implement it over the next five months, culminating in a presentation late May. The proposal for my project was recently submitted and accepted. Here is a brief overview of what I am attempting to do.

The project will create an art exhibit that tells a story, specifically the "Heroes Journey", as it relates to contemporary society. Through various media featuring, but not limited to spoken word, film, and paint, project will explore pressing contemporary social justice issues, specifically social equality as it relates to the identity of America. To give an example of how project may play out. Individuals would be introduced to the main character of the story through written or spoken word. The next phase of the story may just be a series of paintings, the next sculpture etc. Using these mixed medias the topic will be made both more accessible to the viewer, and encourage them to reflect on them. Also, by having the experience placed under the guise of entertainment hopefully the viewer will have their guard lowered allowing them to cast aside many of the preconceived notions they may have about the subject., resulting in an experience that should resonate, and encourage reflection, and empathy in the viewer.

I've read through the boards here rather extensively and am impressed with knowledge that I see on display. I'd like to both keep members on the board up to date on this journey as well as incorporate as much of their expertise on the subject of myth into the project itself.

jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney »

Good luck Qhronos! Sounds like a fun project.
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Great!! I hope it's a success!! Let us know how we can help... 8)
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Very cool, Qhronos. Best of luck with this project. Please do keep us posted and share your work as you can. :)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Qhronos
Associate

Post by Qhronos »

Hmm, hitting a bit of a snag with project, and hoping that some of you might have some suggestions on how to proceed. Thus far I have been assembling contemporary examples that represent each stage of the Hero's journey, in order to develop the "story" that will will be handed over to the respective artists. So for example underneath"The Normal World" listed is world banking crisis, debt, housing bubble, as well as others. Under "The Call" I have listed the renewed interest in spirituality, and eastern religions just to name two. Under "Threshold Guardian" Public opinion, consumerism, political correctness etc. However when thinking of the potential boons and how to illustrate them I have hit a bit of a snag. The one thing that immediately sprang to mind was altruism. Which sounds great but I'd love to hear suggestions on how we show it physically? If possible I would like to hear other examples of the potential boons of embarking on the heroes journey in contemporary society as a means to heal the self and society. Thanks!

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

You're taking on some big issues - so it seems to lack some focus <gut reaction to your post>

Economic problems like you mention in "the real world" are of such varying degrees in complexity from region to region just across the US. For example, I live in the midwest, near a University, and we don't have a lot of the problems that other cities a couple hundred miles away are having. I'd look to focus the lens a bit there, but that's just a suggestion.

Consumerism as a "threshold guardian" - now that's good stuff right there!!

A boon might come in the form of a "getting back to nature" theme where people reconnect with nature and become more environmentally aware in their daily lives - growing some of their own food perhaps and supporting causes like Farm Aid

Again, good luck with your project!
AL
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Qhronos wrote: However when thinking of the potential boons and how to illustrate them I have hit a bit of a snag. The one thing that immediately sprang to mind was altruism. Which sounds great but I'd love to hear suggestions on how we show it physically?
Well, for starters, caring for the needy and the poor, tending to the planet, creating peace...
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Caring about people in your actions. The ways are infinite. Like any other noble abstract, altruism is an ideal to strive for; not because we can ever fully realize it, but because it's what the heart demands.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas