Mythic character = to Lanza

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

drwilca
Associate

Mythic character = to Lanza

Post by drwilca »

I am new here, but a long time reader of Campbell. He coached me into my new, open and joyful life . I am on this site because of a question that came to me as I pondered the killings in CT.

Q: Is there - in all of mythology a character equivalent to Adam Lanza? Obviously the absent father and killing the remaining parent fall into the Greek pattern, - but to follow that up with killing of children x20 and then himself, seems beyond the bounds of recorded -even mythological ideas to me.
Perhaps I am on the wrong locale for this topic - if so then please re-direct me..

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, drwilca, and welcome!

Who's the most unpredictable shadow figure common among peoples? The archetypal trickster: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 7286#77286

The trickster is a collective shadow figure, a summation of all the inferior traits of character in individuals...[The trickster motif has] a therapeutic effect. It holds the earlier low intellectual and moral level before the eyes of the more highly developed individual, so that he shall not forget how things looked yesterday...If at the end of the trickster myth the savior is hinted at, this comforting premonition or hope means that some calamity or other has happened and been consciously understood... --Jung

Dare we hope that indeed the recent calamity has been consciously understood by most of the collective...?

Cindy :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I just shared your post here, too: http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic. ... 4100#84100 :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung