Christopher Vogler: The Writer's Journey

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

FDamkar
Associate

Christopher Vogler: The Writer's Journey

Post by FDamkar »

I wasn't so sure where else this would go, and if it needs to be moved to the proper location, feel free to move it. (:

But I wanted to bring up this book because I feel it's a very good source of material in that it emphasizes the use of the monomyth throughout screenplays and for writes in general. Vogler is a wonderful writer as well; he actually advised on the story of Disney's adaptation of The Lion King and has his own account on Wordpress where he'll talk about the Hero's Journey from time to time, whether it's in his daily happenings or in his work.

http://chrisvogler.wordpress.com

I feel that the book is a great fundamental guide in writing the hero's journey, as well as helping writers to understand their craft in a new way. It's done so for me, and I hope it does the same for others too. (:

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

First literature, now screenplays, so far a decent week for writers. 8)

In this we agree, FDamkar, it's the art and craft of writing for a reason... :)

Also, the Vogel Blog is a good resource. Thanks!
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

Indeed. *laughs*

And yes. The art and craft of writing for a reason is powerful. If anything, in a way, I take Vogler's teachings and sort of took them to be part of my spirituality. Because art and writing tend to gravitate towards the soul in some regard. *laughs*

And you're very welcome, Cindy! (:

LonePine
Associate

screenwriting the hero's journey

Post by LonePine »

Hello, you might like Allen Palmer's screenwriting blog. Allen studied under Vogler and now applies Vogler's and JC's mythology work to screenwriting. I recommend Allen's online resources on the Hero's journey, etc (through which I was initially introduced to JC).

http://www.crackingyarns.com.au/screenwritingresources/

FDamkar
Associate

Post by FDamkar »

Oh wow...this site looks like a good resource to check out and a great source for storytelling. Thank you for sharing it! (:

TRWolfe
Associate

Post by TRWolfe »

Great links here. Thanks, everyone!
Be a teacher. Be a storyteller. Or be gone.