Original Works

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Ty
Associate

The Mouring Monkee

Post by Ty »

This is a poem inspired from a nature show I saw years ago. For fear of appearing to patronize this community of highly intelligent persons, I will not comment as to its theme, unless preempted. Hope you all enjoy!

"Chimpanzee!"

Your mother is passed away,
four days now since those hands
applied pressure to your own,
since her pump ceased to pump
and organs flood the blood
to the heart and the heart died,
her baby and left behind.
It's four days since you came
to rest by the crooked river,
since her bulbous black lips
that mumbled silent nothings
to your hearing, refused
a motion to your calling-
Why do you rest here still?
It is four days since her brain,
her light and hidden pain
grew dim in a darkling skull,
since your mother foraged
for you who will not forage,
you've lain by her limp form
where light that burned in darkness
turns again to darkness.
Your duty is surely done,
surely the time is come
to move up or down river!
Dawn, and he has come and gone
who dawns the white waist coat.
He pronouced a cause for death
(she surely died of death!)
and hearing, your brother left,
left you so they may live--
only you, through heat and rain
your weakened heart has grieved
and I watched your grief and grieved.
What of pain that holds you
grows to nothing, given time.
But you, Chimpanzee, you
are 'most out of time, if time
you have left, Chimpanzee!
You hand is still atop her
barren bottom, your face
like stone in evening's shade, cool
like stone and motionless,
will never more give heed
to your silent callings,
nor answer to my silent
protest.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Aruji is a kanji, a Chinese character adopted to Japanese writing system.

Or, to be more accurate, that's only one of the readings associated with a particular kanji.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Outstanding, Al! I'd seen the link to that TO article, but hadn't gotten to it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. What an awesome graphic!!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Stunning!

Very inspiring!

Thanks, Al
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Unfortunately, "The Rebels" effected my commute time the other day. They can protest all they want, but don't make me wait for the bus an extra half hour. There's a piece of me that wants to say to them "Why didn't you see this coming in the first place? Don't punish me for being proactive".
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

I'd be honored to wait the hour and be late for work in such a case, Neo. In fact I'd take a day off and join them.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Agreed, Clemsy - I was hoping that my post of the "flow chart" might spark some conversation - feel free to carry this into another section/thread...

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Clemsy wrote:I'd be honored to wait the hour and be late for work in such a case, Neo. In fact I'd take a day off and join them.
Unfortunately, if I took a day off to join them, I'd be fired. :shock:

Not that it hasn't crossed my mind. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dear Al; Excellent point. While awaiting the next post I would like to compliment this thread you and all the other participants have been shepherding.

I have spent the morning in overwhelming awe with this thread. And I must say in my VERY humble and belated opinion that to me this is without a doubt one of the absolute BEST OASIS spots in the entire Forums site. I am sooo :oops: embarressed I have been oblivious not only to its' presence but the increditable DEPTH and power of it's TALENT. And if it I can be permitted without being overly dramatic I would just like to say I am truely in the midist of greatness! WOW!
Last edited by JamesN. on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

This could lead to quite an interesting discussion.

Important points both Clemsy and Neo are making. And although there is a lack of focus with the " herd of cats " agenda going on here in it's development stage; this demonstation does not have the same cohesion as the Sixties because of the confusion of cross purposes and sorting out that is trying to take place. Obviously I think we are going to have to do something because we are like the " ship without an oar " drifting towards the edge of the waterfall about to go over. The question; or should I say questions are: " What ?" :?: :?

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

“Let us not be weighed down by the complexity of our situation.”

:shock: Well, not to be argumentative but what does this mean?

People should stop investing money on the stock market. Full stop. It is not the banks that should be attacked by pulling out all our money, rather, the precise opposite should happen since it is only the properly functioning banks that could save us right now. Strong banks supported by government guarantees could still re-stabilize the global economic situation – provided that governments use protectionist measures for a while – and provided we manage this new stability, we could still turn the boat around for the environment. Rioting and revolutions on the other hand will only make that proverbial substance finally hit the ceiling! :roll:

The situation is not so complicated; to get a more transparent and reliable economy we must get rid of those who purposely create confusion. The real enemy is the stock market NOT the banks!
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Evinnra the problem is that the safeguard against boom and bust economies have been dissolved.
Glass-Steagall Act (1933) separates "commercial banks" focusing on consumer activities (checking, savings) from "investment banks," which deal with speculative trading and mergers.
That Act was effectively gutted in 1999, eliminating the firewall between banks and the stock market. (See the fascinating timeline HERE. )

I just started a new thread HERE, where I posted another interesting tidbit. I'll see if I can move these post there eventually.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hey everyone.

Great idea Clemsy. I really liked the Robrt Kennedy quote. I think this discussion might be better served there instead of in Original Works; but whatever you think will work best. Great points as well; especially the timeline!

Evinnra I loved the way you Give A Damm and just jumped right in there; ( especially with the Big Picture ); I wish more people did; but I didn't quite hear some what you were saying. :wink:

Hot Flash fresh from this evenings' News cycle! Bill Clinton has just given a press release on a new book coming out next Tuesday called " BackTo Work " Google: back to work - bill clinton and you should pull up several reviews. He slams the Republican assault of the anti-government ideology over the last thirty years and presents his own take of how to fix some of this dilemma we are stuck in.

Carry on My Friends. Cheers 8)

Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra »

JamesN. wrote:
Evinnra I loved the way you Give A Damm and just jumped right in there; ( especially with the Big Picture ); I wish more people did; but I didn't quite hear some what you were saying. :wink:
Oh well, I hear you James ... indeed, I do get carried away sometimes ... as if I knew it all ... :roll: :oops:
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com