Synchronicity in real-time networking and understanding the

Discussion of Joseph Campbell's work with an emphasis on the personal creative impulse as well as the sociological role of the artist in today's global community.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I've been mulling over this topic for quite some time and then one of those AH HA! moments hit me today as Martin and I have been pinging e-mail and private messages back and forth all day (day for me, night for him, I think! :grin: ).

I have it in my mind that this is an exciting, new art form. One that has put Martin, in Germany, and me, in the good ol' U.S of A, one the same page, so to speak, AND, more importantly, in the same time. That time is only relevant to our discussion, and the synchronicity is relevant only (maybe) to us.

But then there's that thing we Americans call the six degrees of seperation...and the whole thing spills out into our different, but immediate surroundings. For those readers following these discussions for some time, I might add that the art-form I'm referring to is the beautiful seventh thing . Can we call it a thing? :wink:

I'll leave it at that for now & look forward to our other esteemed associates to comment as you like.

peace,
AL

bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss »

Synchronicity abounds - and when it does, i have the sense i'm on the right track. Jung and Campbell both imply the same ... the snowballing of synchronicities a confirmation from the universe that one is on the right track.

One can look at this as either something mystical, or as a natural dynamic, depending on the perspective one prefers (not that the two are mutually exclusive). For example, i have a friend who picked up a guitar at nineteen and has never put it down - he plays it for hours every day - and he picks the brain of anyone who plays guitar, whether veteran or novice, and so is always learning something new - and teaching what he knows to everyone he knows.

Now David is thirty - and gigs "coincidentally" manifest for him, in a way they don't for the "wannabes" who dabble in guitar. David experiences these synchronicities as magical and miraculous, which they are - but Joe points out that David's attention to his bliss brings him into contact with others in the field of his bliss, who naturally open doors to him. It's both magic, and a natural dynamic.

Deepak Chopras latest book - The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire - explores the workings of synchronicity in detail. Chopra is always fun to read - there is always a mystical, exotic new age flavor, leavened with scientific studies and anecdotes. Numerous other authors - such as Ray Grasse, whose excellent work, The Waking Dream, explores correspondences and synchronicities (intriguing premise - engage life as we would a dream), or Diane Skaftes' When Oracles Speak - also touch on this territory.

Speaking of synchronicities and Martin, i just noticed an uncanny coincidence - a post on another thread where Martin mentions Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, the author of Flow - posted the exact same day i included a similar reference in the monthly essay i was preparing for February...

Synchronicity? (...or simply, "great minds think alike" :wink: )

blessed be
bodhibliss

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodhi_Bliss on 2004-01-25 18:09 ]</font>

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

I think we have the ability to optimize the experience if we treat it as an experience, as if we were somehow involved, or entangled, in/with the artwork.

I think once one begins to really 'feel' synchronicity as an affirmation of life, and takes the opportunity to let it spill over into his/her life, therein the circle is complete...

Just some thoughts...

AL

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Let me add here another Jungian argument that I like to ponder now and then;
'synchronistic events are in fact something like "acts of creation in time", so to speak,
some 'creatio continua'. Meaningful coincidences can be said to occur when there is
a vital necessity for an individual to know about something (from M.-L. von Franz).
A vital need or urge, she's talking about, a matter that can't be solved within the given,
well-known, accustomed causal equation :-) Thanks