Tolkien and Campbell

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

JamesN. wrote: On a rather interesting note in the news I came across this piece about " The Hobbit " being released for viewing in China:

( I think it would be fascinating to know what their impression of " Tolkien's " work would be given the differences in cultural background. )
At last, I watched the Unexpected Journey and can say that the movie's reasonably
good in depicting what Westerners make sense of mythical world.
Thank you, James :)
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Nermin thanks; you are too kind. Indeed " The Hobbit " builds pretty well on it's theme in the first installment; however there are some problems with accuracy; shall we say; as Cindy has pointed out. But then with a project like this I imagine there are obstacles to overcome probably resembling what George Lucas had to deal with in " Star Wars. " Integrating and weaving such an enormous storyline together with " The Ring Trilogy "; not to mention the order sequence in which the filming takes place; I am sure all kinds of issues arise; although I'm speculating here. ( We will see what part 2 will bring us when that is released. )

Cheers
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

JamesN. wrote: We will see what part 2 will bring us when that is released

Cheers
James,

This winter, I watched several dozens of movies [like responsible Academy members do :D right before nominations]
including animations that I love so much and even some short films and cannot say that it's easy task for someone
who likes to think a while after watching each of them.

Sacrificing the first of this new Hobbit trilogy to this seasonal rush would be unfair so, I waited a little.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Since sleep seems to be a thing of the past for me, recently I've been watching Jackson's movies online instead. Last night I again watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and want to share that even I could enjoy it this time around since I was better able to let go of Tolkien's own intentions. :wink:

And I might have posted this in the joke thread, not sure, but have any of you seen this? Too funny, I think, and well done. :lol:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Parody by The Hillywood Show

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

By the way, my parakeets give the spoof two wings up. They get super excited and rambunctious when I play this music. :lol:

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

:lol:

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

OK all you Tolkien fans; it's early but I just spotted this little article about the new installment of part 2 of The Hobbit coming in December of 2013. :wink:

http://news.yahoo.com/hobbits-elves-dra ... 26598.html

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

:evil:

Jackson's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (first trailer)

Yep, the most expensive piece of fan fiction ever made. This is not Tolkien's story!

Did I mention that I'm :evil: ? :P

P.S. For any interested, a 2012 interview with Christopher Tolkien: My Father's "Eviscerated" Work - Son Of Hobbit Scribe J.R.R. Tolkien Finally Speaks Out

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

This is not Tolkien's story!
As much as the LOTR movies weren't, Cindy. However, we can't stop popular culture from devouring great works and turning them into profit machines. I find it very regrettable, as is stated in that article, that the Hollywood imagery has infected every expression of the LOTR, and the same will happen to The Hobbit. It will be difficult for people to discover this work in the privacy of their own minds, with their own visions.

But such is the nature of things.

On a lighter note, my son turned me on to these vids. They really are amusing and very well done. Wise even. lol!

The Silmarillion for Noobs part 1 - Melkor and Aulë
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

At least LOTR resembled Tolkien's story. :wink: Even I like Jackson's LOTR, though.

But I'm not going to pay to see the rest of The Hobbit in the theater. As storytellers, Jackson & Company are simply no Tolkien.

:)

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Oh I like Jackson's LOTR also... but I'm still waiting for the real story. lol! I don't see much difference with the Hobbit so far.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Cindy; that is a great and inspiring article.

( Clemsy; the vids look cool and I will check them out when I have a little more time. )

What I'm hoping will happen though is that this continuation of the image in the movie of the book will open the doorway to others of the metaphor of the " Monomyth " and what it evokes. And like " Arthur and Camelot " it awakens the sense of possibility in one's life. And also may ignite the "Fire of The Quest ".

And " flawed " thought this attempt may be; exposure to new versions of these worlds has it's merits. ( Although I must admit as in the article the whole " media Industry " dimension is frustrating. The manipulation and power plays concerning the legal and financial aspects of the story is definitely outrageous. :evil: ) What I truly find " ennobling " is the dedication of Christopher Tolkien in keeping the ( integrity ) of the work alive; and that alone is worth everything. :idea:

I like this " resource " Cindy shared earlier: 8)

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

By the way, the first trailer of Desolation of Smaug is at last available
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs and apparently that's
all we can get until the month of december :idea:

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

About Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. What a shameless attempt to make more... money. I wont even get to the story issue. That movie was full of cliches... Success can be a trap.

That being said the music was divine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWgnySWOwg0

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

What he said. :)

I'm not going to spend more money in the theater on Jackson's The Hobbit...

...but no doubt I'll give in to the temptation to later watch it online. :wink: