Myths and apocalypse

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

stanfly2
Associate

Myths and apocalypse

Post by stanfly2 »

Hi,

do you know in which book Joseph Campbell talks about Apocalypse/End of the world (in relation with myths)?

And what does he say about it?

thanks!

Stan.

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Welcome to the JCF forums, Stan!

Campbell sometimes used to joke about the idea of a factual end of the world, that usually comes up with a new millenium.

In Thou art That he talks about the symbolic end of the world: If you recognize that thou art it - that the kingdom is spreads upon the world, and that the "profane" world is identical with the transcendant spiritual realm - this change of experience can be psychologically described as the end of the world (the end of the world as it used to be experienced).
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

stanfly2
Associate

Post by stanfly2 »

ok thanks.

But i was more wondering about "the end of the world" in 2012, you know the maya prediction... does he talk about that too?

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Ah, I see. I don't think he did. But Terence McKenna does. I assume, you have already listened to his theories: http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id12/pg1/ Some folks are so impatient, they don't even want to wait for the next millenium! 8)
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke

jhbuddha
Associate

Re: Myths and apocalypse

Post by jhbuddha »

stanfly2 wrote:Hi,

do you know in which book Joseph Campbell talks about Apocalypse/End of the world (in relation with myths)?

And what does he say about it?

thanks!

Stan.
Hi Stan,
It looks like your are looking for the 2012 information. Perhaps you might like to know that Nostradomus (the lost book) has a prediction for this possible event as will as you will find more that you bargained for by checking mayanmajix.com. Search for "I Ching".
In these years preceding 2012 everything that has sbeen prophisized is falling into place. Disease, weather, world economy everything is speeding up and getting worse.
The sunspots are due to increase which will cause further effects on the planet, and ultimatley the Dark rift alignment in 2012. What is interesting is that in the prrophceies several state that man can change his outcome and it seems that The new president may be a last option ( if he can maintain the support and affect the chages (with the goodwill intent) he intimates.
INCLUSION OF ALL MEANS TOTAL UNDERSTANDAING

stanfly2
Associate

Post by stanfly2 »

thanks to you two!

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers »

Former JCF web developer Manny Otto has launched a new site about this topic:

http://www.soundstrue.com/mysteryof2012/

mannyo
Associate

Post by mannyo »

Thanks for sharing this with the community, Martin! I'm about to add some posts spotlighting The Global Brain film and the Venus Project as featured in Zeitgeist II: Addendum.

Be well...
Manny Otto

judithfeldman
Associate

the apocalypse

Post by judithfeldman »

you might want to check out Edward Ettinger's Archetype of the Apocalypse.". interesting work...