Hera/hero etymological link; proto-Hera/Hermes

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Drat. I have to break my concentration and a make a trip to the post office. I'll obsess over this more when I get back.

And no doubt you have other things to do, too, Andreas, so please don't feel obligated to help me out NOW. (I'm obligating you for later instead. Ha!)

Thank you again. :)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Cindy B. wrote:I don't know the language, of course, so your hunch isn't jumping out at me without projection of my own. Would you please share more of your thinking?

Also, again I amended my previous post in the interim, so this: And do you know if Hera, by any chance, was ever called something else by the ancient Greeks? Something doesn't seem obviously related to Hera?

:)
Okay, here’s my hunch.

What if “Her” represents either “her” as in Gaia? Or Er as in Earth, or even “Hera” as in Terra?

In many myths, the first humans were both sexes, hence Hero/Hera. And when we experience “Eros” that which is two is lifted back to the one “Er”.

At least this is how my thought process is going on this topic. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Andreas wrote:You need to uncover the greek root of ἥρ which translates in english er. For apparent reasons they could not use er in English for the word Heros, because that would make it eros... so they added an "h" at the beggining. Something like that...
And in relation to the ir/er link that you pointed out, Andreas...

Decided to check this out online before I forgot. (My daughter will disown me if I don't get something mailed to her today, though. Not looking good so far, huh. :wink: )

Ira (m. or f.): Form of Hera. In Hebrew means watchful. In Greek means chosen one, warrior. Sanskrit (f.): earth. Sanskrit (m.): wind.

Iro (f.) Same as Greek Hero as in "Hero and Leander" as I mentioned above.

Still getting closer, I'd say. I'll check more when I get back. And I'm at least going to check Jung's Archetypes in the hope that single book search will do.

8)
Last edited by Cindy B. on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Neoplato wrote:
Cindy B. wrote:I don't know the language, of course, so your hunch isn't jumping out at me without projection of my own. Would you please share more of your thinking?

Okay, here’s my hunch.

What if “Her” represents either “her” as in Gaia? Or Er as in Earth, or even “Hera” as in Terra?

In many myths, the first humans were both sexes, hence Hero/Hera. And when we experience “Eros” that which is two is lifted back to the one “Er”.

At least this is how my thought process is going on this topic. :wink:
You've got a knack for this sort of thing, I'd say, Neoplato. Check out my post above regarding the Sanskrit. 8)

I'm off now to the post office. Back later.

Yassou!

P.S. to Andreas: Do you know if Hera, by any chance, was ever called something else by the ancient Greeks? Something that doesn't seem obviously related to Hera?

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Does this seem familiar, Andreas? Anybody? Here as alternate name for Hera.

Just checking. And from my own rather ancient dictionary of classical mythology. :wink:

Cindy

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

ok I am back, sorry guys and gals.
Do you know if Hera, by any chance, was ever called something else by the ancient Greeks? Something that doesn't seem obviously related to Hera?- Cindy
Remove the "H" what do you get? era (season) maybe or ora (time) but no I can't be sure just going with the flow here..
Ira (m. or f.): Form of Hera. In Hebrew means watchful. In Greek means chosen one, warrior. Sanskrit (f.): earth. Sanskrit (m.): wind. - Cindy
You got to Sanskrit...wow..yeap that is getting close.

PS. Wish I had my dictionary. I could find everything. :/
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Cindy B. wrote:Does this seem familiar, Andreas? Anybody? Here as alternate name for Hera.

Cindy
Can't really say, I can see a link with here. maybe iris? It does sound like Iris. then that would be Heres.

Also Cindy, I am afraid I gave you the wrong word earlier, it is not Airos, it is Airo (verb) meaning "to lift" maybe, still pronounced the same as Eros but without the "s".

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Andreas wrote:Remove the "H" what do you get? era (season) maybe or ora (time) but no I can't be sure just going with the flow here..
Good call, Andreas, but it so happens that it gets us no closer to the traditional hero as we come to think of it here.

Hora (ὥρα) translates as "season." Great mother goddesses here.

Cindy
Last edited by Cindy B. on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

Remove the "H" what do you get? era (season) maybe or ora (time) but no I can't be sure just going with the flow here..
"Erda" is another name for Earth. Kind of goes with era. And doesn't "ora" sound like "hour". Wait, spanish pronouces it "ora".

It looks like this was all figured out a long "time" ago. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Yeap ora is hour in Greek too, why did I say time? lol...well it is the same kinda. Good catch, neo.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Andreas wrote:
Cindy B. wrote:Does this seem familiar, Andreas? Anybody? Here as alternate name for Hera.
Can't really say, I can see a link with here. maybe iris? It does sound like Iris. then that would be Heres.
I'm going to let the link to the Greek Iris go for now. Too much of a stretch, I think. The specific name I needed is Here. I'm not finding it on the web, just a mention in my classical mythology dictionary...with no etymology, of course. Sheesh.
Also Cindy, I am afraid I gave you the wrong word earlier, it is not Airos, it is Airo (verb) meaning "to lift" maybe, still pronounced the same as Eros but without the "s".
And not a problem, Andreas. 'Tis how this process works. :wink: Thank you.

Cindy
Last edited by Cindy B. on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

A suggestion.

Remember to think "Greek...ancient Greek...languages from which Greek languages were derived...cultural influences on ancient Greece, both from within and without."

P.S.
Andreas wrote:Wish I had my dictionary. I could find everything. :/
Good grief, me, too! :D
Last edited by Cindy B. on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

Nope nothing, Cindy. I also did a quick survey with a couple of other greek guys and they can't seem to think of anything about Hera, so...

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Thank you so much, Andreas. You've been a big help, so you know. 8)

Cindy

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

My pleasure and in a bit I am off to bed so good night, or day. :o