Comparative mythology book recommendations?

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Grailking
Associate

Comparative mythology book recommendations?

Post by Grailking »

Thanks! I have hero with 1000 faces, myths to live by, power of myth and pathways to bliss. I heard Mircea Eliade is worth a read.....

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hey, Grailking.

My suggestion--start with a look around the JCF Bookstore: http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php?categoryid=123 Note the various Category links in the column on the right.

Enjoy!
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Grailking! Campbell's Masks of God series is quite comprehensive, even if some of the archaeological data is dated.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Grailking
Associate

Post by Grailking »

Thanks Clemsy! I will have a gander:)

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Grailking wrote:Thanks Clemsy! I will have a gander:)
Don't know if the terrible pun was intended, but if it was, I salute you, your majesty!

I will point out that the crowning achievement of Campbell's work as a comparative mythologist was the sadly unfinished Historical Atlas of World Mythology. The science is more up-to-date than that found in Masks of God, but mostly, the images are stunning.

While it's hard to find copies for sale, you can find the published parts -- which comprise almost the first half of the envisioned work -- in most good libraries.

And I suppose I can say this here: we're in the process of preparing this gargantuan work for serial release in an all-digital, twenty-first-century format. We'll be announcing it REALLY SOON!
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

Hi David,
Will the new releases be limited to the existing published texts(i count 5 or 6 of the various 'seeded earth and animal powers books) or will there be 'new material'?

in gratitude,

john deters
john

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

jd101 wrote:Hi David,
Will the new releases be limited to the existing published texts(i count 5 or 6 of the various 'seeded earth and animal powers books) or will there be 'new material'?

in gratitude,

john deters
Our intent is to release some of the previously unnreleased material -- but we've got to get all of the existing stuff back out again!
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org