Post Joe myth masters

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Sand
Associate

Post Joe myth masters

Post by Sand »

So, who are the great current teachers on myth. The people who have picked up the baton . And what books, papers, etc would be good to read?

I'm really keen to see where the thread has lead.

S

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Have you yet strolled through the JCF book store, Sand? http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php?categoryid=123 In the column on the right you'll find the category, Contemporary Voices. Enjoy!

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Sand
Associate

Post by Sand »

Fantastic, thank you so much.

S

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Seems this thread would be more comfortable in the Wisdom Pool, so I'm doing the old shifteroo!

Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Sand
Associate

Post by Sand »

That chat was really interesting. Not sure she swung me though. But the idea was fascinating.

bubblesort
Associate

Post by bubblesort »

If you use SecondLife look up a person named Ludo Merit. She has been working on a 'game' in SecondLife called Prism for years. She says it is supposed to be an RPG based directly on Campbell's monomyth. Well, based on Campbell and based a little bit on people who came after him who cleared things up a bit, I think. The 'rules' of Prism so obtuse it's difficult to see it as an RPG. Then again, most of SecondLife is like that. It's hard to fault her for being obtuse when she is working in a medium that is pure metagame. Virtual worlds aren't really games and they aren't exactly tools, either. It takes a special kind of crazy to really want to spend a lot of time there (I ran the most trafficked academic sim in SecondLife for 4 years, so, I'm saying that as a crazy person myself).

Personally, I see Prism as a beautiful, well thought out 3D virtual world illustration of the hero's journey that takes elements from RPGs and traditional board games in order to inspire stories in a new way, using new mediums. Playing it is more like a prewriting exercise than a game. Also, people in counseling say it's extremely helpful.

P.S. - If you want to look me up in SecondLife I'm Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia.