Help locating old Spengler thread

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

jd101
Associate

Help locating old Spengler thread

Post by jd101 »

Years ago there was an excellent thread someone had posted on Spengler's 'Decline of the West'.

I recall that it was a complete chapter summary and exposition, something akin perhaps to 'sparknotes'.

I can't seem to locate it among the threads after searching. I do recall that this forum was consolidated at some point in the past, and perhaps some of the older threads we lost?

Thanks in advance,

John Deters
john

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

This thread is what you're looking for, John: The Decline of The West

Unfortunately, however, it appears that past platform changes scrambled the original order of posts. The thread's only five pages long, though, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to sort through. Enjoy!

:)

P.S. If interested, you can read Spengler's original work here: http://archive.org/stream/Decline-Of-Th ... 1/mode/2up
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

Thanks for the response Cindy. My recollection is that there was another thread that was quite exhaustive on the subject of the book, and years ago I browsed the thread which one member in particular had taken the time to provide a quite detailed summary and discussion of each chapter of the book.

I had always wanted to study the thread in detail as Spengler is not the easiest read, but alas the years have gone by and perhaps it might be gone.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but unless my memory is faulty,
I am pretty sure the thread you linked was not the one I remember.

Thanks also for the Spengler link!

john
john

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

I'll have another look, John. This morning when I searched the board, several threads popped up, but only this one discussed Spengler in any depth.

Hopefully Clemsy will be able to help out here, too. I've left him a message.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

So far no luck, John, given your thread description. Sorry. Perhaps you're right, that some threads were lost along the way. I'm still waiting to hear back from Clemsy, though.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi jd101. Took a look for any other thread on Spengler's work and didn't find anything. To be honest, I don't recall there being one other than the thread Cindy linked. If it is an extensive thread, though, I would remember it. Are you sure it was here?

The threads have been pruned, but only the minor ones with few, if any replies. A conversation such as you've described wouldn't have been deleted.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 »

thanks clemsy.

sorry for the delay

we were away last week and visited with richard buchen who is the librarian for the campbell archives at pacifica for a few hours.

wow! felt like a pilgrimage....

at any rate, the spengler thread is a mystery. perhaps appropriately so, as my memory is so clear that i can still see some of the chapter summaries, thinking to myself, 'wow, that sure was alot of work for someone...i'll have to revisit when i have time to explore'.

alas, it is quite possible that my mind has the ability to play tricks, and that senility is probable cause.

however, while in my youth i might have become alarmed at my ability to create realities where there are none,

my maturity allows me to say 'how wonderful that i can spin new universes from my imagination.'

perhaps i am touching the place from which the myths burst forth...

or not.

regardless, my thanks to you and cindy once again.

john
john

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »