A Joseph Campbell story maybe someone can help me with

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

stncald
Associate

A Joseph Campbell story maybe someone can help me with

Post by stncald »

At least I think it's a story he told. It was about an anthropologist who spoke with an Inuit medicine man, who told him that the universe whispers, "don't fear me." I thought it was in The Power of Myth, but I've not been able to find it. Does anyone know the story and where I might be able to find it?
Thanks.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, stncald.

I'm about to move your post to The Wisdom Pool forum to make sure that your question doesn't get lost in the mix.

Cindy :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Myrtle
Associate

Re: A Joseph Campbell story maybe someone can help me with

Post by Myrtle »

stncald wrote:At least I think it's a story he told. It was about an anthropologist who spoke with an Inuit medicine man, who told him that the universe whispers, "don't fear me." I thought it was in The Power of Myth, but I've not been able to find it. Does anyone know the story and where I might be able to find it?
Thanks.
Hi stncald,

This sounds like the story Campbell told about Dr. Rasmussen and the shaman Najagneq. It is included in the book Myths To Live By, Chapter X, "Schizophrenia - The Inward Journey" (paperback/pgs. 205-206). There may be other sources as well.

Myrtle

stncald
Associate

Post by stncald »

Thank you, Myrtle. That's the story. Ironically, Myths To Live By was the one book I didn't think to check.
I was reminded of this story in the wake of the horrible, tragic bombing in Boston.

Thank you again.