Wu Xing

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ddownes
Associate

Wu Xing

Post by ddownes »

I wondered if anyone here might be able to link me to resources on the subject of the 'Wu Xing' or five Chinese 'phases' (wood, fire, earth, metal, water)

I'm particularly interested in any references made to the Wu Xing by Joseph Campbell. in books, lectures or interviews. So far I have only been able to find a brief reference in the 'Oriental Mythology' volume of 'The Masks Of God' but it doesn't go into much detail.

Are there others?

Many thanks.

EDIT: My apologies. It looks like I may have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

No problem, ddownes. I'll move this to the Wisdom Pool.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Hi ddownes,

Campbell also wrote about the five Chinese elements in The Mythic Image (Chapter II: The Idea of a Cosmic Order, Number 5: The Revolving Sphere of Space-Time. Pgs. 163-165).

And in The Hero with a Thousand Faces Campbell includes a Chinese myth that "...personifies these emanating elements as five venerable sages..."
(Part II: The Cosmogonic Cycle, Chapter I: Emanations, Number 3: Out of the Void-Space. Pg. 272/Paperback)

There may be other sources as well.

Hope this helps.

Myrtle

ddownes
Associate

Post by ddownes »

Thanks Myrtle. I'll look them up.