chimera

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

kayleigh.keen
Associate

chimera

Post by kayleigh.keen »

Hello, I am a third year student in the uk studying special effects make up and for my dissertation on the history and myth of the chimera. The fire breathing monster made up of a lions head, a goats body and snake tail

I am looking into all the different connotations of the creature, as well as the word itself with its definition of combined DNA. I have the DVD set Mythos 1-3 but it mentions joseph discussing greek mythology but then goes onto buddism and hinduism.

Is there more videos I can find with Joseph explaining the relevance of greek mythology?
Is there some areas of his work or past discussions about the symbolism of animals and their connection to the archetypes.

any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Welcome, Kayleigh!

Today I searched my home library with regard to the chimera and its symbolism, and unfortunately could find nothing that specifically addressed the archetypal chimera. Hopefully Clemsy or Myrtle will be able to offer you specifics regarding Campbell on this topic.

What I can offer, though, that you might find useful are these links:

KHIMAIRA

Robert Graves: The Greek Myths (Go to Introduction, p.6, para.2-3 and p.79, The Children of Echidne)

Etymological background and further clarifying remarks concerning chimeras and hybrids (PDF download)

Also, perhaps your university library has a copy of this book where you can read comprehensive entries on the lion, goat, and snake (or dragon):

ARAS's The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images

And if you're really lucky, your university library may have a subscription to this site that likely will have specific information on the chimera. I can't say for sure since the fee is beyond my means. Or any chance that you're a rich college student? :lol:

ARAS: The Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism

Your dissertation sounds cool, by the way. Good luck!

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung