Hubris, Ate & Nemisis

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Hubris, Ate & Nemisis

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Is there anywhere in Campbell's work that he discussed these 3 minor Greek dieties ( Hubris, Ate & Nemisis)?

Thanks in advance for any help...and feel free to add your 2¢ :)
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Maybe I forgot koros as the first stage of the cycle...if that helps.
http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2011/tle615-20110417-05.html

This link http://glyph.wikispaces.com/The+Greek+Tragic+Cycle spells it out as almost formulaic (like the hero's journey?)

Does this "formula of Greek tragedy" predate Campbell's Hero??
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hey, AL.

I don't know what's up here, but I'm interested in what Clemsy might have to say about this, too. Cool question.

:)

P.S. I used to tell my girls when they were in high school that if ever they decided to become politicians, I would doubt myself as a mother and wonder where I went wrong... :lol:
Last edited by Cindy B. on Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas »

I used to tell my girls when they were in high school that if ever they decided to become politicians, I would doubt myself as a mother and wonder where I went wrong... - cindy
:lol:

------

Alo, I am also interested about the evolution of tragedy and what Campbell thought of it.

Check out this link I hope it helps.

http://shakespeare.nuvvo.com/lesson/443 ... literature

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Al,

In The Hero with a Thousand Faces, pp.25-30, Campbell talks about "Tragedy and Comedy."

The only other text I checked so far was The Power of Myth which offered nothing specific about the mythological hero and tragedy.

:)

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hello Al and Cindy!

I don't recall Campbell discussing this, but I'll check my sources later today and shoot David the querie.

Hope all is well Al!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser »

Thanks y'all!

8)

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hey Al and everyone.

I'm not sure if " irony " fits within this discussion because of it's many varied definitions and usages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

But here is one that seems to have a round about connection in the " Classical Greek " sense.
Cosmic irony (Irony of fate)

The expression cosmic irony or "irony of fate" stems from the notion that the gods (or the Fates) are amusing themselves by toying with the minds of mortals with deliberate ironic intent. Closely connected with situational irony, it arises from sharp contrasts between reality and human ideals, or between human intentions and actual results. The resulting situation is poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended.
I tripped over the below article when looking up the word " irony " in reference to another post and found it quite fascinating. ( However ); that said I certainly don't want to distract or pull this topic off course so we can move it if it is not applicable. It just seemed from reading the thread that this classical ( Greek ) reference had an indirect link to it.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... blogs&_r=0
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

honjaku wrote: 04 Feb 2014. Post Subject: Comedy and Tragedy

What is different in the characters in Shakespeare's plays that makes some of the plays tragedies and others comedies?

My sense is that the characters in the tragedy take their feelings too seriously hence the tragedy. The comedic characters aren't so caught up in their politics or world view or position?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Cindy B. wrote:
honjaku wrote: 04 Feb 2014. Post Subject: Comedy and Tragedy

What is different in the characters in Shakespeare's plays that makes some of the plays tragedies and others comedies?

My sense is that the characters in the tragedy take their feelings too seriously hence the tragedy. The comedic characters aren't so caught up in their politics or world view or position?
Interesting Cindy.

In reading over " Christy Wampole's " article again to see how it matched up with your post; I was struck by how much in common these 2 views coincided with your current moniker:
Man woke up in a world that he did not understand, and that is why he tries to interpret it. --Jung
If I am understanding the topic correctly this interplay of how people interpret the reality they see within themselves and the world around them and react to it would seem to connect with this. Perhaps human attempts at any " assimilation of reality " might also refer to Jung's description of the relationship between the ( personal and the collective unconscious? ) :idea:

However perhaps maybe this also depends upon the ( idea ) of how or even if: " Fate; Destiny; The Gods; or any other Divine Intervention " is included. :?:
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne