JC Curriculum Creation

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

DeTrolio
Associate

JC Curriculum Creation

Post by DeTrolio »

Hello everyone. I am a the Director of Program and Academics where I work and Really want to create a Joseph Campbell type curriculum. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome and much appreciated!

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello DeTrolio and welcome to the forums. I have sent our moderator Clemsy a message concerning your query and you should here from him soon. Meanwhile relax and have a look around; we are glad to have you here.

Cheers
:)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi DeTrolio, and welcome to the JCF's Conversations of a Higher Order!

If you'd like to share a bit more info about your needs, either here or in a private message, please feel free and I'll help as much as I can.

My thread in Awakening the Mythological Mind may be of interest.

http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4056

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Forum Moderator
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

DeTrolio
Associate

Post by DeTrolio »

Thank you for your response.

Surf House Puerto Rico is a holistic community for young people, ages 17.5 to 25, seeking an experience to help them improve their college and career readiness. Surf House offers a model that fully integrates Clinically Informed Life Coaching℠, individualized educational services, and wellness development, coupled with a rich international experience and challenge or water-based recreational activities. During their 8 to 12 month stay, students work in partnership with their clinically-trained Life Coach to create a viable plan for the future by implementing an educational strategy, developing critical life skills, taking personal responsibility, and engaging in community-based activities through volunteerism, an internship, or employment. Students learn the importance of being aware of their needs in all aspects of their life and how to address those needs by living a balanced lifestyle that fosters autonomy and financial independence while empowering them to pursue their passions and grow personally.

My goal is to create and implement a rites of passage coursel for our young adults that will embody a Hero's Journey/mythological focus. Students move through phases of our program but what's missing is the transformative rites of passage/initiations that will symbolize their progress.

Thank you again for any suggestions our further questioning. Means a lot.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

...financial independence while empowering them to pursue their passions and grow personally.
This is key, I think. Many in this age range, especially at the younger end, don't know what their passions, especially their primary passions, are. In Campbellian terms this is what he called "bliss."

DeTrolio, the model of the Hero's Journey will certainly suit this endeavor of yours. Familiarity with the HJ stages is of great value. What modalities can be used to encourage your students to explore themselves? Indeed, the unknown on the other side of the threshold is their own inner landscapes.

Journaling, play writing, music, art... can all be utilized in this exploration, and an important starting point is that transition out of childhood.

The first essay I have my 17 year olds write is to choose a moment or event that can symbolize the end of childhood or loss of innocence. None of them had a meaningful ritual that marked this transition, so they have to honor it as individuals.

The word "transformation" is on my chalkboard and stays there all year. I refer to it constantly to remind them where they are in their own lives.

I hope this helps at least somewhat. I think the design of your curriculum will work best when organically grown from those in front of you. Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas