seeking clean recording of "enter the forrest..."

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

datsusara
Associate

seeking clean recording of "enter the forrest..."

Post by datsusara »

“You enter the forest
at the darkest point,
where there is no path.

Where there is a way or path,
it is someone else's path.

You are not on your own path.

If you follow someone else's way,
you are not going to realize
your potential.”

I'm seeking the cleanest recording of this that can be found. I know it's in a few places but scouring my collection may take many days and I am hoping to use this for a podcast launch next month. If anyone can help track down the tracks I would be most grateful, might even get some credit at my online modern hemp gear store.

Thank you in advance, any help is most welcome.
--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I'll check my audio, but I'm not very organized. In the mean time say hello to your Pooka for me.

datsusara
Associate

Post by datsusara »

Roncooper wrote:I'll check my audio, but I'm not very organized. In the mean time say hello to your Pooka for me.
heheh thank you and i will. are there transcripts anywhere for all of the talks? that might help.
--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello Datsusara.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for as to a source but this reference is contained literally within the opening lines of the DVD: "Joseph Campbell - The Hero's Journey" - A Biographical Portrait. As you are probably already aware this motif of the (Dark Forest) appears quite often throughout his work; and I believe what is closer to the exact quote you may be seeking is in the "Power of Myth"; although at the moment I'm not sure where within the 6 part series it is located. There is a written quote in Diane Osbon's book: " Reflections On The Art Of Living: A Joseph Campbell Companion"; (page, 22); but I doubt that is what you are looking for. YouTube is full of clips of various parts of the documentary so you may try there first if you do not have a copy. (As far as an audio version that's about as close as I can suggest at this point.) I hope this helps.

Cheers :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper »

I know the idea of entering a dark forest came from the grail quest. Maybe it can be found in an audio of him discussing the Arthurian legends.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hey Ron. Yes that's how I remember it. (I should have clarified that.) "The Power Of Myth" is where I first saw it; but it is also referenced within these others as well. IMHO I would say this is the key symbol Joseph Campbell used most often for the (Hero's Journey) as a metaphor of The Call of Quest to find one's own interpretation of "The Grail" of their life. In particular i.e. (The "Percival" version if I'm stating this correctly): Yes; I believe at Columbia the Arthurian Romances were his major focus material when he went to Paris to study abroad before coming back and leaving school and deciding not to finish his thesis. He then went up to Woodstock during The Depression and holed-up in a little cabin there and read for 5 years before accepting the teaching job at Sarah Lawrence. (Sorry if there was any confusion.)

Namaste :)

Addendum: OMG I almost forgot!

This book just came out and is available here at the JCF website bookstore.

http://www.newworldlibrary.com/BooksPro ... fault.aspx#

(Discussion thread here.):

http://www.jcf.org/new/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5400

Should be a perfect match for Datsusara"s project. 8)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

datsusara
Associate

Post by datsusara »

great info, thank you. i'm still on a search for a relevant audio quote form the man himself though. I hope I can find one.
--

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi datsusara!

Good idea checking here for some help!

Clemsy
(aka Michael, Rights and Permissions. I wear a few hats around here. :-) )
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

datsusara
Associate

Post by datsusara »

found a lot of good quotes that were close on "A Path of Your Own" lecture 1.4.5 but it's a bit tricky as some of what he says is not the best audio and he hits the podium a bit much. I'm wondering if he says these things again but on a better recording.
--