The Art of Discourse II

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Ercan2121 wrote:
CarmelaBear wrote:Like and right are so different.

One can be right and be disliked. One can be wrong and liked.

~
Both is difficult :D
Well, there's right and liked and wrong and disliked. Yeah, seems awfully persnickety to me.

:!:
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Okay.
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hey all.

Recently I've been getting poster feedback about off-topic posts interrupting the flow of discussions, so please take a moment to review these posting guidelines again.

Thanks!

Cindy

Please review the following general posting guidelines so that our conversations here stay interesting, informative, and enjoyable for all. :)

Whenever a poster creates a new thread and establishes a new topic, please recognize the area of interest that he/she has established and maintain the focus of discussion within those parameters. True, it's natural during the course of any discussion for a bit of wandering to side issues, but when the creator of the thread (or moderator) attempts to redirect the discussion back to the topic, please honor that and return to the original area of interest.

At the same time, often the creator of a new thread and topic will not mind what direction the thread takes and anything goes. Those sorts of threads can be found here, too, of course, such as those that start in NYC and end up in LA with a right turn to FL. That's fine, too, provided that the thread's creator is cool with that.

Whenever participating in a discussion initiated by someone else and you find yourself wanting to pursue further some related issue that has popped up, please create a new thread of your own and establish the new area of interest. If you'd like, leave a note and link to your new thread in the original thread so interested posters know to follow you there.

If as the original creator of a thread you find yourself having difficulty politely encouraging posters to return to your topic, please contact a moderator via PM to intervene for you.

Sometimes a moderator will request that posters refocus on the topic by moving the off-topic conversation to an already established thread on the board. At such times a link to the appropriate thread will be provided for you.

Please do not resubmit copies of a post that you want to draw especial attention to within the thread or to assure that it's the last post in the thread so that it's featured on the index page. Other posters participating in the discussion or readers following along will find your post and give it the consideration that it deserves. As part of general housekeeping, moderators will delete the extra posts.

Occasionally duplicate or triplicate posts appear on the board because of whatever quirkiness of the day is affecting SUBMIT and the submission/posting process of a new post. As part of general housekeeping, moderators will delete these extra posts, too.

Please also make sure that new threads and topics are placed in the appropriate forum. The Village Compound forum, for example, is devoted to topics of a practical nature, e.g., Q & A, rather than to continuing conversations. If unsure which forum is best suited for your new thread and topic, please post in The Conversation with a Thousand Faces forum.

I think that covers everything we need. Should anyone have any questions or think of something that I've forgotten, please share it here.

Happy Posting!

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Came across this list today. It's a rather exhaustive set of ideals for those who host online conversations. Daunting, really.

http://rheingold.com/texts/artonlinehost.html

~

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Carmela, THANK YOU for that. It is awesome! :-)
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Everything but the kitchen sink...

~

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, Carmela.

And what he said.

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Wow! You're back. Welcome to our space ship.

:wink:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Everyone here is so nice.

:D

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Greetings fellow associates.

Carmela has come across and thoughtfully shared an awesome site link that is an excellent tool for exploring some of the various facets of discourse. It offers IMHO a very powerful resource and should be helpful for getting at some of the proper insights, definitions, and mechanics of how discourse can be better able to function and operate. 8)

http://changingminds.org/index.htm
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

That's an awesome resource, James! Thanks!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

When Carmela posted this in another discussion I was just staggered at the depth! There was no question as to where it should be posted.

Welcome to http://changingminds.org/, the largest site in the world on all aspects of how we change what others think, believe, feel and do. There are already around 7000 pages here, all free and with much more to come!
:shock: :idea:
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne